oil question

Started by CB 1971, June 2, 2020, 11:55

CB 1971

hi all
gonna do a oil and filter change this weekend,want some advice on which oil to use always had car serviced by toyota ,car is a 2001 with 72k.i know recomended oil is fully synthetic 5w 30 ,is it worth buying genuine toyota oil ,thanks colin.

Joesson

@CB 1971
iirc Toyota oil is semi synthetic. But since our cars were designed, in the last century, oil technology as with most things has moved on.
For much of my cars life it was filled with "Toyota" semi synth, but remember Toyota do not make oil. I changed in 2015* to Mobil synthetic, after visiting LeMans and seeing what oil the Toyota race team used.
I use a 5-30 grade, not the 0- ? That they use.
My daily can use the same oil and so I am happy with my choice.
If you are a long time motorist, you may likely have a " favourite " brand. If so have a look at their website and see what oil they recommend for your car.
Ask on here and you will get n number of different brand suggestions from n number
of Members.
When I was working in the 70's  and 80's I was involved with " filling machines" and saw different branded cans being filled from the same source, not too much wrong with that if you are aware. But that is why I choose an oil refiner rather than say "Halfords" or "Toyota".

* I had, incorrectly, written 1970! That was a while ago and incorrect. The 19 likely came from my reference to "last century". The 70 came from the number of my years at which time I had a Motorfest and visited LeMans 24 Hour and Silverstone British GP.

shnazzle

They key is:
- fully synth
- 5w30 or 5w40 depending. 
- change at least once a year. 

The rest is preference and adjust "to taste" 

I ran the Toyota "Economy" oil that is provided by the Toyota garage for over a year and it was absolutely fine. Cheap and effective.

I normally run the much more expensive Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5w40 simply because of my driving style. It does feel better for me, for my car and my driving. 
The other MR2 has Shell Helix 5w30 and it's also absolutely peachy.
...neutiquam erro.

CB 1971

Am I right in saying the economy toyota oil is semi not fully synthetic. I think that toyota garage used the semi economy oil on my last service because of age of car.

Bossworld

Quote from: CB 1971 on June  2, 2020, 13:11Am I right in saying the economy toyota oil is semi not fully synthetic. I think that toyota garage used the semi economy oil on my last service because of age of car.

Correct.  The one in the value service pack is semi synth.  Some dealers offer an upgrade for a tenner, mine doesn't.

I ran mine with the semi-synth the last 3 years without issue.  I've swapped to fully-synth Castrol Magnatec 5w30 C3 because it's what goes in the Mini and it was on offer, though I think we're meant to use A5 in ours.

Mum's MR2 had Shell Helix fully synth 5w30 AG last time, but I got the value service kit this year so that's now on Toyota economy semi-synth.

shnazzle

Quote from: CB 1971 on June  2, 2020, 13:11Am I right in saying the economy toyota oil is semi not fully synthetic. I think that toyota garage used the semi economy oil on my last service because of age of car.
Correct. The "Fuel Economy" is semi synth and that's what the car originally came with so to speak.

But, as said above, times have moved on. But that's what they'd put in if you went to a Toyota garage.
Toyota do have a Premium Fuel Economy which is fully synth, but you'd have to specifically request it and it's about 11 quid more. In which case, I would just fork out the extra bit and go for Fuchs, Motul, Miller, etc etc fully syth

edit: Apologies for the damn near identical post to @Bossworld
 :)
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

I second all of the above.
I've settled on fuchs super syn.
As above comes down to your own taste.
But any good quality full syn will see you right.

paulj

Just ordered my next 5l of Shell Helix on the euro carports eBay site, £19.99 with their coupon
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Ardent

@CB 1971

If you are not burning any. Then you only need 4L can. 3.7 inc filter.

Bossworld

Quote from: shnazzle on June  2, 2020, 13:58
Correct. The "Fuel Economy" is semi synth and that's what the car originally came with so to speak.

But, as said above, times have moved on. But that's what they'd put in if you went to a Toyota garage.
Toyota do have a Premium Fuel Economy which is fully synth, but you'd have to specifically request it and it's about 11 quid more. In which case, I would just fork out the extra bit and go for Fuchs, Motul, Miller, etc etc fully syth

edit: Apologies for the damn near identical post to @Bossworld
 :)

Great minds think alike, fools seldom differ...

ooch

I had an EP3 civic type-r from new for 8 years and currently have an FN2 civic type-r. They have only ever been run on Millers 5W 30 fully synthetic. I put 117k on the EP3 and over 100k on the FN2 with no issues. I know they are different engines from the 1ZZ but I rate Millers. Having said that I've just changed the oil on the MR2 for the first time and decided to stump for the Shell Helix Ultra 5W 30 after seeing a couple of recommendations and the fact it is about £15 to £20 cheaper than the Millers.

Joesson

Quote from: ooch on June  4, 2020, 15:16I had an EP3 civic type-r from new for 8 years and currently have an FN2 civic type-r. They have only ever been run on Millers 5W 30 fully synthetic. I put 117k on the EP3 and over 100k on the FN2 with no issues. I know they are different engines from the 1ZZ but I rate Millers. Having said that I've just changed the oil on the MR2 for the first time and decided to stump for the Shell Helix Ultra 5W 30 after seeing a couple of recommendations and the fact it is about £15 to £20 cheaper than the Millers.

Perhaps the Member best qualified to answer this is the Newbie @Backys with his mega mileage 200k Roadster, but he has kept his head down since his intro post.
As I said previously , n Members will give you n answers.
Looking at it another way, the difference in cost for one oil change per annum Millers/ Shell over your 8 years is around 8x £17.50 = £140, that would not go far towards rebuilding an engine in the worst case scenario.
As with most things you pay your money and take your choice.
Much also to be said for the placebo effect

Dev

Quote from: ooch on June  4, 2020, 15:16I had an EP3 civic type-r from new for 8 years and currently have an FN2 civic type-r. They have only ever been run on Millers 5W 30 fully synthetic. I put 117k on the EP3 and over 100k on the FN2 with no issues. I know they are different engines from the 1ZZ but I rate Millers. Having said that I've just changed the oil on the MR2 for the first time and decided to stump for the Shell Helix Ultra 5W 30 after seeing a couple of recommendations and the fact it is about £15 to £20 cheaper than the Millers.

I have also switched to the Shell product we have in the states under the name of Pennzoil ultra Platinum with Pure plus technology. It is getting all the buzz because it is showing great used oil analysis and its ability to clean off deposits particularly the piston. Shell has a unique process of making synthetic oil with less impurities using natural gas. It is so impressive with one of their formulations for the Challenger SRT hell cat  that a BMW racing team is using it.   
  I was previously using what we call here European Castrol but have switched. The biggest difference I have found with my 2ZZ is less evaporation losses which I use to get if I use lift a lot. 
 Keep in mind im not shilling for this oil but when they are competitively priced I want what is possibly the better of the bunch to keep the engine clean.

potge

Quote from: shnazzle on June  2, 2020, 12:59They key is:
- fully synth

I normally run the much more expensive Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5w40 simply because of my driving style. It does feel better for me, for my car and my driving.

Out of curiosity, have you tried Race Pro S 5w-30 also? And if so, why did you ended up in 5w-40?

shnazzle

Quote from: potge on July 18, 2020, 01:30
- fully synth

Out of curiosity, have you tried Race Pro S 5w-30 also? And if so, why did you ended up in 5w-40?
I haven't actually. The 5w30 has only been available since recently. I might try it next time
...neutiquam erro.

potge

Quote from: shnazzle on July 18, 2020, 08:47
Quote from: potge on July 18, 2020, 01:30
- fully synth

I haven't actually. The 5w30 has only been available since recently. I might try it next time

Cheers. That would be interesting (I think).

Tags: