Front pads

Started by Newbie57, May 10, 2020, 12:38

Newbie57

Changing out the front pads and discs. The old pads were very stiff in the carrier. New pads are difficult to get in and are also very stiff to move. The wear plate was cleaned and the pad eats grease. The inside pad is very difficult. Pads are Drivetech.

Are they always this stiff?

Carolyn

This is how I do it:

Take the pads out, take note of how the spring clips are positioned, then take them out.

Take a square file and file away any rust build-up in the slots that take the pad ends. Clean the spring clips.  They are stainless and even really tired looking ones tend to clean up well.

Replace the spring clips, making sure they are fully seated in the slots.  Put a tiny smear of copper ease on the sides of the 'ears' on the pads, taking care not to get it on the braking surface.

Put the pads back in.  They should now slide in easily.  If still too tight, take a little metal off the ends of the ears of the pads with your file.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

onion86

Quote from: Carolyn on May 10, 2020, 12:54If still too tight, take a little metal off the ends of the ears of the pads with your file.
Further to this, some pads also come with quite thick paint on, so might be just paint in need of sanding/filing so that they aren't so tight. I've had to do that with EBCs and Pagids.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on May 10, 2020, 12:54Take a square file and file away any rust build-up in the slots that take the pad ends.

Not that it needs it but this part of Carolyn's post has been very applicable to me almost every time. Grime, rust, etc builds up quickly and easily in those slots behind the clips and makes it impossible for pads to seat back in.
Get it nice and clean and smooth.
...neutiquam erro.

Newbie57

All done thanks. Well one side😀

Tags: