Handbrake

Started by ponytrekker, May 6, 2020, 18:44

ponytrekker

New cables, calipers fitted but still too much travel. My mechanic reckons the adjuster cable itself has stretched. Where could I get one of those?

Carolyn

Have you had him ??:

1) Slacken cables 'till they are floppy loose.

2) Start engine

3) Slowly and firmly depress the bake pedal twenty times.

(This winds the pistons out and reduces the travel).

Adjust the cables up to six clicks for full hold.

Unless the adjuster nuts on the short cable are all the way at the end of it's threads, the short (adjuster) cable will be fine.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

Quote from: ponytrekker on May  6, 2020, 18:44New cables, calipers fitted but still too much travel. My mechanic reckons the adjuster cable itself has stretched. Where could I get one of those?
I believe mr2ben does them

ponytrekker

Thanks - I'll pass that on........I might be back!!

Bossworld

I replaced mine (car had done 130k ) and it made absolutely no difference. Only did it because the part had been reduced to £4 on Amazon or thereabouts.

The key is getting everything right at the calliper end first.

Ardent

mr2garageswindon

Are the hand brake levers on the calipers resting against the stop when the handbrake is off? The cables are different lengths were they fitted correctly?
Must make sure the pedal dance is done BEFORE pulling the handbrake up.
Best of luck, should be an easy fix.

ponytrekker

Thank you folks. Martin's not happy with what he has done so far....but it's a lot better. Time will tell... and he will work through the advice from here if required. Bristol Cherished Cars is his moniker... and he does cherish them (especially anything made by VW!!).

Tags: