How to drain out incorrect p/s fluid

Started by peteshaz, May 4, 2020, 19:51

peteshaz

Hello everyone. Hope you and yours are well. I'm studying some YouTube videos on getting the old p/s stuff out of my system. The garage put in new p/s pipes and filled with green ATF fluid. I pointed out this was incorrect and they put in Comma LDS. Gave up on that garage as this isn't correct too.
Unfortunately all the videos I can find are all are on belt driven pumps. I want to drain without starting the engine you see...just turning the (slightly raised) wheels lock to lock while the return pipe is disconnected from the reservoir and poked down into a bottle...will this work? Also...it would be either Ravenol or Total DA fluid. Are both ok?
Regards Pete

105e

There is a mr2 roadster specific you tube video, cannot tell you how to find it..

Call the midlife!

The pump primes as soon as you turn the ignition on but I can't for the life of me remember if I had the engine running when I changed mine. 
The rest of the routine is sound though, pull the return, stick it securely in a securely held receptacle (it blows with some pressure) and do a few lock to locks but don't let it empty fully before you start topping with fresh.
@Carolyn will probably be able to clarify on the engine running or not.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Carolyn

I don't think I ran the motor when I did mine.

And yes the Total and Ravenol are both fine.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

peteshaz

Quote from: 105e on May  4, 2020, 21:37There is a mr2 roadster specific you tube video, cannot tell you how to find it..
Okedoke. Thanks...I'll search it out.
Pete

peteshaz

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May  4, 2020, 23:30The pump primes as soon as you turn the ignition on but I can't for the life of me remember if I had the engine running when I changed mine.
The rest of the routine is sound though, pull the return, stick it securely in a securely held receptacle (it blows with some pressure) and do a few lock to locks but don't let it empty fully before you start topping with fresh.
@Carolyn will probably be able to clarify on the engine running or not.
Hi. Great. Thanks. I've got some Ravenol on the way. Carolyn has answered too. Goodness me...this club is excellent!
Pete

peteshaz

Quote from: Carolyn on May  5, 2020, 10:01I don't think I ran the motor when I did mine.

And yes the Total and Ravenol are both fine.
Hi Carolyn. Great. Thanks for answering. I've got some Ravenol on the way.
Pete

Ardent

@peteshaz

Goodness me...this club is excellent!

Yes it is.

ManInDandism

Quote from: 105e on May  4, 2020, 21:37There is a mr2 roadster specific you tube video, cannot tell you how to find it..

Don't know if you were referring to this one?

Hope OP gets it sorted - when I had new pipes fitted, I figured garage might use run-of-the-mill fluid so supplied my own just in case.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

paulj

I can confirm lock to lock with engine off. If you do switch the engine on it primes and the level drops quickly. Not that I know that through experience obviously!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

peteshaz

Quote from: paulj on May  5, 2020, 22:24I can confirm lock to lock with engine off. If you do switch the engine on it primes and the level drops quickly. Not that I know that through experience obviously!
Great. Thank you. Ravenol arrived yesterday.
Regards Pete

Tags: