coolant hose clips

Started by CB 1971, April 28, 2020, 17:43

CB 1971

hi all,
i want to renew coolant hose clips with new stainless steel jubilee type,inspected old toyota spring types this morning to find they have corroded very badly,is it possible to renew these without draining and what size clips do i need please,

Joesson

Quote from: CB 1971 on April 28, 2020, 17:43hi all,
i want to renew coolant hose clips with new stainless steel jubilee type,inspected old toyota spring types this morning to find they have corroded very badly,is it possible to renew these without draining and what size clips do i need please,

The OE spring type clips can not be replaced with the hose in situ. The Jubilee type clip can typically be opened up and fitted around an in situ hose, one of the advantages of that type of clip. The size I suggest is best measured, remembering that a Jubilee type clip has a wide range of adjustment, another advantage.

Call the midlife!

You CAN cut the original spring clips off if you can get access to the right bits to cut with some small bolt cutters, just be careful not to nick the hoses.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Carolyn

All of the above is good advice.

On the other hand, you could be a devil, treat your car to new coolant and do a proper job on your hoses?? ;D  ;D  ;D
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

Quote from: Carolyn on April 28, 2020, 18:53All of the above is good advice.

On the other hand, you could be a devil, treat your car to new coolant and do a proper job on your hoses?? ;D  ;D  ;D

If the 2 is new to the OP best have a check of the radiator condition as they do have a finite life.
One job just slips nicely into several other jobs, best to be aware of that so that they can be done in the right order.
Unlike when I knew no better, and I paid Mr T around £90 for a long life coolant change and then found out , six winter months later as on SORN, that the radiator was leaking!

normanh

Why take them off, simply move them back and add a nice stainless one in front. I had one pop off last November for some reason last a litre or so of coolant

Norman

Alex Knight

normanh

I hardly think about 10 clips from the rad will cause a significant weight increase and decrease in the performance where carrying a passenger is going to weigh in the order of 75kg

Norman

Call the midlife!

Quote from: normanh on April 28, 2020, 20:16Why take them off, simply move them back and add a nice stainless one in front. I had one pop off last November for some reason last a litre or so of coolant

Norman
The OP wants to remove them due to corrosion, if left in place/moved they'll eat through the pipe and cause a leak.
60% of the time it works everytime...

CB 1971

just ordered new stainless steel jublee clips gonna go down the cut old ones and slide clip up method.

normanh

I've left mine on the end of the hose, these clips are spring steel pretty think and not easily cut away, no issues with rust. m
Mine simply had surface rust!

Tags: