Front anti roll bar links replace and steering gone heavy

Started by peteshaz, April 28, 2020, 14:08

peteshaz

Hello everyone.
My MR2 roadster was due for her MOT on the 21st March and failed on "both anti-roll joint dust cover...etc" and a couple of other things. Both front anti-roll links were changed. The other thing was a problem with the rear nearside caliper/handbrake efficiency (but I couldn't justify getting that mended...my business just stopped dead the same day..driving instructor) so they put her all back together and I drove her home and declared SORN...which is heart breaking. I just missed the MOT extension on the 30th March.
Anyway...on the drive back I noticed that the steering, especially turning right was heavier than usual and also the wheel didn't want to fully recentre when turning left or right. It does seem like UJ problem from what I've read. Also, the slight stiffness isn't constant but ok-ish then more pronounced. My car is a 2003 with 126000 on the clock and looked over the UJ yesterday and pretty dirty. Cleaned it and greased but quite difficult to test as can't drive her. The thing I'm wondering about is that this was date coincident with the anti-roll links change. Maybe the UJ joint wasn't under as much pressure before the links were changed (steering was very light)? Could it be an alignment issue now too? Tyre pressures..don't know as I can't drive her to a garage to check!...very frustrating. Think that's all
Regards Pete

Gaz mr-s

The u/j is non-serviceable. If the joint is seizing sometimes spraying with the likes of wd40 can free it, but if it does work it's replacement time.  And if you need to, consider protecting the new one.... a rubber gaiter of sorts.

Petrus

I am sorry to read about your triple plight.

The ARB has no connection to the steering issue.

Hope all gets onto track, albeit a dfferent one, soon.

pauls0212

is the steering fluid still topped up or has the work nicked a pipe or stopped it flowing
red 2003 standard so far

peteshaz

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April 28, 2020, 14:47The u/j is non-serviceable. If the joint is seizing sometimes spraying with the likes of wd40 can free it, but if it does work it's replacement time.  And if you need to, consider protecting the new one.... a rubber gaiter of sorts.
Okedoke. Thanks for the info. I've thoroughly cleaned it with WD 40 and regressed as much as possible. Can't drive her to check though! I'll look to getting a replacement anyways.

peteshaz

Quote from: Petrus on April 28, 2020, 16:53I am sorry to read about your triple plight.

The ARB has no connection to the steering issue.

Hope all gets onto track, albeit a dfferent one, soon.
Great. That's a relief. Just date coincident with the problem..

peteshaz

Quote from: pauls0212 on April 28, 2020, 17:20is the steering fluid still topped up or has the work nicked a pipe or stopped it flowing
Hi. Yep. No fluid loss. Bit worried about the fluid in the power steering system though. My last garage (prior to the anti roll etc garage) changed the power steering pipes as they were shot and leaking. When I collected the car the pump was making a right racket and it had green ATF fluid in it. I pointed out this was incorrect and they replaced it with comma LDS fluid (red). I'm not sure if this is ok. I replaced the old pump myself shortly after too. No responsibility taken by that garage obviously, hence new garage!

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: peteshaz on May  3, 2020, 19:32
Quote from: pauls0212 on April 28, 2020, 17:20is the steering fluid still topped up or has the work nicked a pipe or stopped it flowing
Hi. Yep. No fluid loss. Bit worried about the fluid in the power steering system though. My last garage (prior to the anti roll etc garage) changed the power steering pipes as they were shot and leaking. When I collected the car the pump was making a right racket and it had green ATF fluid in it. I pointed out this was incorrect and they replaced it with comma LDS fluid (red). I'm not sure if this is ok. I replaced the old pump myself shortly after too. No responsibility taken by that garage obviously, hence new garage!

No, I doubt very much that that fluid is right. The type is an EHPS (Electro-Hydraulic) PS oil.  This garage you're using is not checking before doing.

I just bought some.....this was cheapest I could find. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAVENOL-E-PSF-Power-Steering-Fluid/183996036782?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=691685463772&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The only other make I know of is Total. I did see mention today on f/book that a Nissan fluid may be the same.

Ardent

Or. For something you are only likely to do once.  Pay the price and get Mr T fluid.

I'm not saying the above are not correct.
But for complete peace of mind....

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Ardent on May  3, 2020, 20:45Or. For something you are only likely to do once.  Pay the price and get Mr T fluid.

"RAVENOL E-PSF Fluid is a unique fully synthetic fluid especially developed for use in electro-hydraulic power steering systems and which is also suitable for the hydropneumatic Hydractive III und Hydractive III+ suspension from Citroen. The use of a high quality base oil blended together with a new generation of additives ensures the correct functioning of the system and an excellent lubricating ability even at low temperatures in winter.

Meets/ Exceeds Requirements

Citroen LDS 9979 A3, Citroen DA 9730 A5
    Peugot/ Citroen PSA S71 2710
    Nissan E-PSF
    Nissan 999MP-EPSF00P, Nissan KLF51-00001
    JTEKT EHPS Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering
    Toyota PSF-EH, Toyota 08886-01206
    MAN M3289,
    Renault PSF Class 1 (Renault Laguna III)

Carolyn

I'd want that stuff your garage put in, out of there ASAP.

Could be eating the seals.  I know one of our members did some experiments a couple of years ago and found some fluids were attacking the seals.

If your garage has destroyed your power steering pump (I sincerely hope that is not the case) then an expensive repair is down to them.

A good used replacement might be available through our affiliated breaker; Mr Sloan.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

peteshaz

Quote from: Carolyn on May  4, 2020, 09:35I'd want that stuff your garage put in, out of there ASAP.

Could be eating the seals.  I know one of our members did some experiments a couple of years ago and found some fluids were attacking the seals.

If your garage has destroyed your power steering pump (I sincerely hope that is not the case) then an expensive repair is down to them.

A good used replacement might be available through our affiliated breaker; Mr Sloan.

Yep. Thanks very much for the data. Will be sorting this out asap!
Pete

peteshaz

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on May  3, 2020, 19:56
Quote from: peteshaz on May  3, 2020, 19:32

No, I doubt very much that that fluid is right. The type is an EHPS (Electro-Hydraulic) PS oil.  This garage you're using is not checking before doing.

I just bought some.....this was cheapest I could find. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAVENOL-E-PSF-Power-Steering-Fluid/183996036782?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=691685463772&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The only other make I know of is Total. I did see mention today on f/book that a Nissan fluid may be the same.
Thanks for the info. Yes, I agree...it was very annoying!
I've seen the Ravenol and the Total DA (very slightly cheaper) and will sort it out.
Pete

peteshaz

Quote from: Carolyn on May  4, 2020, 09:35I'd want that stuff your garage put in, out of there ASAP.

Yep...onto it. The replacement pump seems fine right now but the quicker the better. I'm studying some YouTube videos on getting the old stuff out (but all are on belt driven pumps). If I want to check the procedure I'm working out, would I need to start another thread? I want to drain without starting the engine you see...just turning the(slightly raised) wheels lock to lock while the return pipe is disconnected from the reservoir and poked down into a bottle...
Pete

peteshaz

Quote from: Ardent on May  3, 2020, 20:45Or. For something you are only likely to do once.  Pay the price and get Mr T fluid.

Hi. Yes. Understood.
Pete

Tags: