front suspension rebuild

Started by CB 1971, April 17, 2020, 10:15

CB 1971

hi all,
i have recently purchased new struts springs top mounts etc ,i am hoping to put them all togeather and have them fitted by local garage,my question is do i need to grease any of the top of the strut like the underside of top mount,?

Ardent

Hello and welcome.

I have to confess, that I'm not seeing what or how much you are gaining over just supplying the parts and letting the garage do the whole job.

Undoubtedly will benefit from a suspension refresh. But normally you cannot tell the condition of the top mount until removed. So if bought, just to know all is new then praise be.

Other more knowledgeable types will be along in due course.

Perhaps open an hello thread in the new members section.

Carolyn

New top mounts go straight in.  Used ones, need cleaning and the bearing re-greasing. The underside of the top mount is a rubber pad.  Depending on its condition, re-use or replace.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

james_ly

I'd be interested to know how much difference the new struts make. I want to sort my bushes and balljoints first, not sure if the struts are worn badly or not on my car..
MR2 gone<br />GT86

CB 1971

hi again,
thanks for the quick reply,owned my 2001 mr2 for 12 years now none of front suspension components have ever been changed,dont think it would pass next mot so time for whole new suspension and wishbones,

ManInDandism

I've just been through the same exercise - parts supplied to mechanic to fit.  The tracking will need adjusting once done.  I ended up having to get new inner/outer tie rods ends on his advice and then taking car back for these to be fitted so that tracking could be adjusted.

@james_ly  if as in this case if someone is refreshing the whole front suspension, getting tracking done etc. I'm not sure that you are going to be able to tell what difference just the struts are going to make. Its about replacing old parts, getting through the MOT and the knowing that everything is just so.  Then that's one less area to have to worry about.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Tags: