New callipers

Started by Newbie57, April 14, 2020, 12:22

Newbie57

Fitted new callipers. All works ok but I can't get a good force on the hand brake. Cables move freely. Done the brake dance. Adjusted the hand brake to 5 clicks. But the car will overcome the Gand brake in 1st. Did I miss something?

Bossworld

How worn were the pads or were they replaced too? If old pads, may need to take up the gap between the piston and pad.

If new pads, may need to bed in slightly?

When you say it'll overcome, are you just bringing the clutch up or giving it some gas too? Mine will hold on the former, not really on the latter but given it's a RWD car perhaps not massively surprising.

Carolyn

My test for the handbrake is to jack it up and see if I can rotate the wheel with a breaker bar on one of the wheel nuts.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

james_ly

Does it hold the car on a hill? Pretty sure 1st gear can overcome on mine, and I recently passed the MOT.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Gaz mr-s

Did you get the rubber bellows for the handbrake cables, & get them on ok?

Newbie57

Pads are relatively new. Plenty of meat on them.
Battery has just died so I'll have to get a new one then I'll try it on a hill.
The little boots haven't arrived yet.
Noticed the boots on the front struts have disintegrated too. I suspect all 4 corners suspensions really need replacing with 100k on them. Any recommendations on good value replacements. Not interested in anything exotic

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Newbie57 on April 14, 2020, 15:00Noticed the boots on the front struts have disintegrated too. I suspect all 4 corners suspensions really need replacing with 100k on them. Any recommendations on good value replacements. Not interested in anything exotic

Since your cables move freely they obviously can't be bad, but since the rubbers were kaput if you haven't already done so I'd recommend removing the clip that holds the outer cable, dropping them to the ground & put some thin oil down the cables from inside the car. It'll lube them & help displace any moisture in there.

The o/e KYB struts are well regarded. At 100k miles, unless they've previously been replaced (unlikely) you will most likely need top mounts. The fronts have bearings in them. When I bought replacements a few months ago I got them from Autodoc. A German company with several different websites. The brand name of them was Akisha. Japan parts supply the same ones.  You could try Paul Pridham (TCB) for everything & see what deal he can do.

Bossworld

Quote from: Newbie57 on April 14, 2020, 15:00Pads are relatively new. Plenty of meat on them.
Battery has just died so I'll have to get a new one then I'll try it on a hill.
The little boots haven't arrived yet.
Noticed the boots on the front struts have disintegrated too. I suspect all 4 corners suspensions really need replacing with 100k on them. Any recommendations on good value replacements. Not interested in anything exotic

If the pads are new(ish) then probably very little mileage in trying to turn the piston out further. Would echo Carolyn's point and try to ascertain just how much force is required to overcome the handbrake.

Newbie57

In the ongoing saga. Callipers changed and working ok. Near side handbrake cable returns ok. Off side moves but is sticky enough to not be overcome by the return spring. Tied to get as much lubricant in it as possible and will leave over night. Not sure I'm up to dropping the tank to replace it.

Newbie57

Ordered a couple MGF boots for the cables.  With a bit of force the stretch over the end of the cable. No need to cut them

Newbie57

Hand brake works to some extent now.
Now the off side front disc is getting hot🤬

CB 1971

having exactly same problem had new cables fitted a month ago and they are free and moving great ,calipers are under a year old both sides ,fitted new discs and pads did the usual brake dance etc ,but when i adjusted cable up for it to hold nearside caliper cold offside hot,just dropped car off at garage this morning asked them to have a look will let ypu know outcome.

Newbie57

I flushed the brake fluid so maybe some debris was dislodged and is causing the FRONT calliper to stick. It doesn't appear to do it all the time. I might replace this one. If I can find a new one on line.
The rear offside brake cable is sticky the balance bar doesn't  return evenly. It was the near side rear that got really hot.
The pads on the front are low. Discs are old. Bit mor e bay expense. 🤫

Ardent

Newbie57

Of course I did wire brush the callipers and Paint it. Bit more investigation to do

Tags: