MAF advice

Started by Jon S, April 1, 2020, 20:21

Jon S

Hello everyone. I've been suffering some hesitation in acceleration and my OBD reader has thrown up a p1072 and p1075 codes do I'm assuming it's the MAF at fault. I've been looking at eBay and there are plenty on there that claim to fit varying markedly in price so 2 questions:
Does it seem like that it is the MAF or should I be looking elsewhere ?
Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable make or are they all the same?
Many thanks
Jon

Ardent

When I'm back at the full screen pc I can ping you a couple of pdf that might be useful.

Failing mafs are not a known issue.
Hold fire buying a new one until other potential issues have been ruled out.

Jon S

Gaz mr-s

You could try cleaning it with carb cleaner or the like.  When you do remove it you'll see a 'blob' with two wires. I'm not sure if that's a temperature sensor, but the one you're looking for is recessed high up & is difficult to see.

Carolyn

Maf's do fail. You're showing too rich across both banks(all cylinders)  which does point towards the Maf.

First, I'd try giving it a clean, as has already been suggested.  Carb cleaner will suffice.If you use a solvent cleaner, remove the O ring first, as it will swell from contact with the solvent.  Don't use any tools to poke around inside it.  It's very delicate.  I'm probably now telling my Grandmother how to suck eggs - if that's so please excuse me.

Anyway -after you've cleaned it and let it dry, put the O ring back on an put reinstall.

Clear the codes before you start the engine, let it run and see e what gives.

If the codes return -

Unfortunately, there is no specific code for the Maf. Once it's suspect the only way to tell for sure is to replace it.

The cheapest ones can be a bit unreliable - I'd spend in the middle of the range and buy from a high-volume supplier with good ratings.

Let us know how you get on.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

issues to consider with ref to 1072
Injector leak, blockage
Mass air flow meter
Engine coolant temp. sensor
Ignition system
Fuel pressure
Gas leakage on exhaust system
Open or short in heated oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
circuit
Heated oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)

= as above

If it was the MAF direct. You would have a P0101.
ECM

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
Fuel trim refers to the feedback compensation value compared to the basic injection time. Fuel trim includes
short–term fuel trim and long–term fuel trim.
Short–term fuel trim is the short–term fuel compensation used to maintain the air–fuel ratio at its ideal
theoretical value. The signal from the heated oxygen sensor indicates whether the air–fuel ratio is RICH or
LEAN compared to the ideal theoretical value, triggering a reduction in fuel volume if the air–fuel ratio is rich,
and an increase in fuel volume if it is lean.
Long–term fuel trim is overall fuel compensation carried out long–term to compensate for continual deviation
of the short–term fuel trim from the central value due to individual engine differences, wear overtime and
changes in the usage environment.
If both the short–term fuel trim and long–term fuel trim are LEAN or RICH beyond a certain value, it is detected
as a malfunction and the MIL lights up.

As per carolyn, cleaning the maf would be a cheap easy place to start.
The visible = the bulb nice an easy.
The not so visible  = 2 very thin wires tucked up out of the way. Squirt but don't touch.

Jon S

Thanks all. Great advice. I'll give cleaning it a go. I think I've got some MAF cleaner somewhere. Is it safe to assume the o ring would be safe with a dedicated cleaner?

Ardent

For what it's worth in time. Simply GENTLY remove it first. Then you can use what ever.
Regardless of what I have in the cupboard at the time. I GENTLY remove the O ring first.
So quick and simple. Not worth risking.

Ardent

Thinking about it, before you pull the maf, pull the ecu fuse. Then whilst you are cleaning the maf, you are re-setting the ecu  at the same time. Multi tasking with out even trying.

So with a clean maf and and ecu set to factory. You are in the best position to observe what comes up knowing you are starting from stock.

Keep us updated.

Jon S

Sorry to be dim but where's the ECU fuse?

Petrus

Quote from: Jon S on April  1, 2020, 22:07Sorry to be dim but where's the ECU fuse?

Disconnecting the battery will do to. Either will erase the fault codes.

Jon S

Thanks everyone I'll tackle this at the weekend

Ardent

Fuse is in the box next to the battery.
Labelled on in side of box lid as to which. You should find a little fuse puller tool in there as well.

Ardent

@Jon S
This one.
You cannot view this attachment.

Jon S

Update: MAF cleaned and now running much better and so far no fault codes so a great result. Thanks to all for your guidance and help!

Ardent

What state was it in?

Tags: