Soft top tear

Started by Chilli Girl, March 29, 2020, 18:46

Chilli Girl

Foxy seems to have developed a very small tear at the drivers side near the bottom which will of course only get worse. I know it's a common problem but any ideas to repair it please. Mastik or something similar maybe? It's not noticeable at the moment but it will spread I'm sure. :'(
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Carolyn

Hi Jane,

I've not repaired a vinyl top on an MR before, but I have done a bit of vinyl repair.

I think on on-line shop for a little vinyl repair Kit.  (Shop wisely)

I would clean the area thoroughly prepare a patch from durable fabric and glue it in place with flexible glue, clamping it or applying pressure, while it drys.

Then a surface treatment vinyl repair liquid.

If you Google 'vinyl repair' you'll find videos of repair methods.

It'll be a fun 'crafyy' little project

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Chilli Girl

Thank you Carolyn, I'll have a look. :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

shnazzle

My roof's been held together by duct tape for a good while now. Forgot how good the stuff is :)
...neutiquam erro.

paulj

Before I replaced my roof, the repair I made when I bought the car involved a couple of packs of Millets waterproof repair patches and a tube of their waterproof seam sealer. It stopped the leak for a season.

Go on, you know Foxy would love a new "hat" from the nice Mr Smith in Swansea!  Something to look forward to after isolation
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

s12vea

Maybe get some spare material from
Someone breaking and bond over the split (if possible from behind)
Sounds like you have a split in the same place as me
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Tags: