Rear caliper

Started by Newbie57, March 29, 2020, 10:35

Newbie57

The bellows on the sliding pin. Is it supposed to clip on to the pad carrier?

gazza1286

The seal attaches directly onto the caliper.
The seal is not available from the dealer but forms part of the repair kits widely available.
Simply pressed into the caliper using a mallet and suitably sized socket. The metal part is poor quality and can distort if you're not careful.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274220777071

househead

Yea these are a little tricky to get in without bending the supple metal or ripping the rubber.

I used the socket and hammer method and had to re-form the metal rim a few times before getting it right. Probably a lot easier if the caliper is off the car vs on it.

I can't fully visualise it right now but possibly a wind-able clamp of some sort might be better (like a C clamp).
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Newbie57

I bought new callipers and they have the boot. The reason for asking isn't that when I dismantled the brakes the boot came off on the carrier and is sitting nicely in a grove like it ought to be there.

Bossworld

Quote from: Newbie57 on March 29, 2020, 16:24I bought new callipers and they have the boot. The reason for asking isn't that when I dismantled the brakes the boot came off on the carrier and is sitting nicely in a grove like it ought to be there.

I fitted a replacement rear left to my mum's MR2 a couple of weeks back and to your point, once the carrier came off there was a neat looking rubber boot still on there. Had to do a quick Google image search to check there wasn't meant to be one on the carrier, I believe it must have torn off the boot that's tapped into the caliper itself but it was that neatly done you wouldn't think it wasn't by design.

Tags: