Starting problem..it won't!

Started by MisterK, March 27, 2020, 13:01

MisterK

As many of you know, my car is garaged & in the winter it's covered and is trickle charged.  I take it out for a run whenever. The roads are dry, so this winter it's only been out about 4 times, the last one being 4 weeks ago. 

I've just tried to start it to get it out of the garage and let the engine warm up & unfortunately it won't play ball.  I think it's the starter motor....it clicks and labours and then there's a series of clicks but it doesn't turn over the engine.  Does this sound right? The battery is fine & fully charged.

To put it in context, the car has probably only been started a maximum of 20 times in the last 12 months, with probably only 4 starts in the last 6.  The car is nearly 16 years old and hasn't been driven a lot in the past 6 years.  Sounds like a call to the RAC when all the virus issues are over to get the car recovered to my local garage ☹
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Carolyn

The symptoms you report are more like not enough current.

Could be corrosion on the battery posts.  It sounds like the starter is not getting a good enough supply.

Your battery could be fubared....just 'cos it seems fine- doesn't mean that it is.

To be sure, try jumping it from your daily, or borrow the battery and do a lash-up, just to see?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MisterK

Thanks Carolyn...sounds like a plan.  I'll give it a go & let you know how I get on  :)
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

tets

mine does that and I know my battery is buggered - will only hold charge for a week or so most likely that

MisterK

Plan worked... :)  :)
Hooked up the IQ & jumped the MR2.  Started 1st turn.  So a new battery 1st priority when the situation allows.
Now I can fit the refurbished wheels with AD08r tyres recently purchased from Matt Performance.
Thanks for your suggestion Carolyn...don't know why I didn't try jumping it in the first case  :o

jonbill

you might be able to recover it with some distilled water and bat-aid. I've recovered a couple like that.

MisterK

It's a Toyota sealed battery, so I don't think it's recoverable.   ::)

Oh well, I've put the new wheels on, taken the hardtop off and it's now back in the garage, battery disconnected, waiting for the current situation to improve so I can venture out and buy a new one.  Let's hope it's not too long before myself & everyone else can get out with the roof down & enjoy some topless motoring  :)

Topdownman

Good to hear you have diagnosed the problem Mark.

Have you thought about having a battery delivered;

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=69060.0
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tags: