Batteries

Started by househead, March 22, 2020, 10:21

househead

Mine is looking to be pretty dead by now and I think it's time for a replacement. Jump start and 50 mins spirited driving last night and this morning she doesn't want to start.

I'm not too bothered about getting the best or cheapest or lightest. Just want something that will do the job and won't have me cashing in on a warranty in a years time.

Halfords (unlike eurocrapparts) *should* be open today.

They have a "Yuasa HSB053 Silver 12V Car Battery 5 Year Guarantee" Priced at £100

How does that fare?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

shnazzle

Quote from: househead on March 22, 2020, 10:21Mine is looking to be pretty dead by now and I think it's time for a replacement. Jump start and 50 mins spirited driving last night and this morning she doesn't want to start.

I'm not too bothered about getting the best or cheapest or lightest. Just want something that will do the job and won't have me cashing in on a warranty in a years time.

They have a "Yuasa HSB053 Silver 12V Car Battery 5 Year Guarantee" Priced at £100

How does that fare?
It's a bit steep I'd say. I thibk I paid 80 and that was expensive, in Halfords. Online has it for 65 I believe if you dig
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

Quote from: househead on March 22, 2020, 10:21Mine is looking to be pretty dead by now and I think it's time for a replacement. Jump start and 50 mins spirited driving last night and this morning she doesn't want to start.

How does that fare?

That's the brand I have, unsure of my ref number. Had that for a few years now, bought the same brand for my daily.
The 2 is trickle charged over winter. As is my daily now, as has been used only once and 2x 7 miles in last 2 weeks.

Cost, I paid around £70 but perhaps 3 years ago so I would go with Halfords as it is readily available.
Maintain social distancing!!

Edit
Yuasa  Silver YBX5053 £54.41 12V  48 AH 430CCA 5 year guarantee. 29/03/ 2016

Joesson

As above, my 2 is garaged and my ( more expensive daily) is on the drive!
This means that the 2's rear engine/ battery is near the garage door. My front engine/ battery daily is nose up to the garage door.
This means that I can jump start one from the other if needed, and it has been, and currently the daily is on charge with the cable under the garage door.

househead

They also do a Halfords own brand one for £80 but I figured the branded one would be better.

£65 is a big saving off £100. Maybe I'm best resigning myself to fixing up later in the week.

Yesterday was a bad day ... went from two perfectly working cars to two not quite working ones. Battery done in the MR2 so went for a drive in my golf (had been planning to take the hardtop off the 2 but so be it). As luck would have it, managed to blow a tire on some awful country road and had to change it on a tight 2 way road with a blind bend behind and a blind crest in front.

Joesson

@househead , I have heard that Halfords sometimes price match, maybe not on line prices , I got mine from a Marina supplier near a local canal. They supply boats and recreational vehicles, is there such a place near you? If there is and they advertise their prices but aren't open today , maybe Halfords would match that.
Maybe!

Chilli Girl

My bike mechanic swears by the Yuasa battery. I've only had to replace mine once in 12 biking years!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

househead

Quote from: Joesson on March 22, 2020, 10:52@househead , I have heard that Halfords sometimes price match, maybe not on line prices , I got mine from a Marina supplier near a local canal. They supply boats and recreational vehicles, is there such a place near you? If there is and they advertise their prices but aren't open today , maybe Halfords would match that.
Maybe!

Not sure if we'd have something like that in Lewisham / surrounding but I'll take a look. Found the same batt on amazon for £60 but the delivery timescale is like last week in April. Not waiting that long :) fair to see I will find it somewhere more suitable for less than £100 though!

shnazzle

I replaced the Halfords HB53 that was in my car with the Yuasa.  It still works, it's in Helen's car now as her's went totally dead. Have a brand new replacement Halfords waiting. 

Anyway, the Halfords from mine has been in there for as long as I've had the car (5 years?) and probably a good while before that so, they're good. 
The Yuasa is definitely more powerful. Car starts quicker.
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

househead

Quote from: Topdownman on March 22, 2020, 11:08Delivery is added at checkout...

https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-50ah-450a-silver-car-battery-ybx5053-hsb053-8583-p.asp

~£66 delivered. I'll probably go with this. More of a pain to return via warranty but I'd be silly to pay 50% more just to get it today and have an easy life returning it.

SV-3

Quote from: Joesson on March 22, 2020, 10:47As above, my 2 is garaged and my ( more expensive daily) is on the drive!
This means that the 2's rear engine/ battery is near the garage door. My front engine/ battery daily is nose up to the garage door.
This means that I can jump start one from the other if needed, and it has been, and currently the daily is on charge with the cable under the garage door.
Snap 8)
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

househead

Quote from: SV-3 on March 22, 2020, 11:45
Quote from: Joesson on March 22, 2020, 10:47As above, my 2 is garaged and my ( more expensive daily) is on the drive!
Snap 8)

I would do something like this but my garage is over 2 miles away. That's a lot of voltage drop :D

Carolyn

Quote from: househead on March 22, 2020, 12:12
Snap 8)

I would do something like this but my garage is over 2 miles away. That's a lot of voltage drop :D
Do your new battery a favour and put an isolator on it (if you haven't already!!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

Quote from: Carolyn on March 22, 2020, 12:14
Snap 8)

Do your new battery a favour and put an isolator on it (if you haven't already!!

I bought one of those way, way back and now even after going through all my tools and purchases to try and gain some order, I can't find the damn thing :( hopefully will turn up eventually or I'll buy a new one, which will force the original one to stop being invisible I'm sure.

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on March 22, 2020, 12:14
Snap 8)

I never realised how much power the car uses just standing there. The isolator has made a huge difference. Given the current climate, I'm going to put one on mine as well as it's unlikely to be used much now
...neutiquam erro.

H1GRM

Sounds good so what isolator is recommended?
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

shnazzle

Quote from: H1GRM on March 22, 2020, 12:43Sounds good so what isolator is recommended?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163433279770

Does the trick just fine
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

Quote from: househead on March 22, 2020, 10:47They also do a Halfords own brand one for £80 but I figured the branded one would be better.

£65 is a big saving off £100. Maybe I'm best resigning myself to fixing up later in the week.

Yesterday was a bad day ... went from two perfectly working cars to two not quite working ones. Battery done in the MR2 so went for a drive in my golf (had been planning to take the hardtop off the 2 but so be it). As luck would have it, managed to blow a tire on some awful country road and had to change it on a tight 2 way road with a blind bend behind and a blind crest in front.

As you may know I read about a lot of thoughts and quotations from great people of the past. As yet I have not seen it written that when things are not going  well they will not continue in that downward direction!

tricky1138

Quote from: Joesson on March 22, 2020, 10:52@househead , I have heard that Halfords sometimes price match, maybe not on line prices , I got mine from a Marina supplier near a local canal. They supply boats and recreational vehicles, is there such a place near you? If there is and they advertise their prices but aren't open today , maybe Halfords would match that.
Maybe!

I also recently bought the Yuasa YBX5053.

Went to Halfords too and it was £100. They now say they won't price match online prices, only local suppliers circa 3 miles I think.

I got mine from a local one in Durham for £65. Def worth the savings!
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

househead

Quote from: Joesson on March 22, 2020, 13:17As you may know I read about a lot of thoughts and quotations from great people of the past. As yet I have not seen it written that when things are not going  well they will not continue in that downward direction!

It actually had me thinking that on balance of probabilities that I was/am now due some good luck. That was, until when explaining the situation to my mother and she came out with the oft overused "it comes in threes" :D

In the end it's just minor stuff to deal with and not a major inconvenience. Given such times as now I'm thankful these are the sorts of things I'm grappling with!

househead

Quote from: tricky1138 on March 22, 2020, 14:01I also recently bought the Yuasa YBX5053.

Went to Halfords too and it was £100. They now say they won't price match online prices, only local suppliers circa 3 miles I think.

Ordered it online with thebatteryshop for delivery 1-3 working days @66. I can do without the car for a few days, even if they are sunny ones :(

As for the Golf, that's booked in for 2 fresh rears tomorrow aft. Had the fronts done very recently so fresh rubber all round.

Joesson

Quote from: househead on March 22, 2020, 14:33
Quote from: tricky1138 on March 22, 2020, 14:01I also recently bought the Yuasa YBX5053.

Ordered it online with thebatteryshop for delivery 1-3 working days @66. I can do without the car for a few days, even if they are sunny ones :(

As for the Golf, that's booked in for 2 fresh rears tomorrow aft. Had the fronts done very recently so fresh rubber all round.

Now, that's something ( else) to chew over concerning cars in general.
In the olden day's with front engine rear wheel drive and non radial tyres the wheels were recommended to be changed front to rear to even out wear.
When radial ply tyres became popular together with front engine front wheel drive cars that all changed. I believe it's not recommended now to " even out" tyre wear, and certainly not on or 2's with different sized wheels.
With a front wheel drive car, as many popular cars are today, the front tyres do wear quicker than the rears.
In relatively recent times I have heard " advice that new tyre should be fitted to the rear when changing just two. The theory, apparently that with new tyres on the front the front grips more than the rear so the rear can lose grip and can come around to meet the front.
For those old enough to remember, the phrase "Does the team think "*that new tyres should be fitted to the front , the rear or the driven wheels?

*For the younger readers-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Does_the_Team_Think%3F

Topdownman

The reasons I remember hearing for putting the new tyres on the rear at a tyre place were, most skids are rear wheel ones so makes sense to have the better gripping tyres there. Also that on the front, at least you have steering to have some input if things do get out of shape whereas you have nothing for the rear.

Not so sure about the 2nd one personally as it implies your driver inputs only affect the front rather than the whole car.

Of course stopping/steering ability in an emergency has not been mentioned!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

househead

When I got those fronts done, which is only about 1k miles / few weeks ago, the rears still had >4.5mm tread on them. I was going to have the rears moved to the front and replace the rears but I let a friend talk me out of it. He suggested the driven and steering wheels would be more suitable to have the newer ones. One of the fronts get badly damaged by a naughty kerb and I figured best to replace in pairs. The fronts had more like ~3mm left on them.

Having had all four of them done (by tomorrow) within a few weeks of each other, I get to reconsider what the right approach should be for a fwd. nice fresh start! All four originals were the ones I bought it with, 1yr / 8k miles ago.

Tags: