Dismantling old strut and spring assembly

Started by househead, March 20, 2020, 12:03

househead

Got a set of old struts with springs on that I want to dismantle.

Just started on the first strut, I've compressed the spring (with a Sealey 3-piece compressor) and I've removed the top mount centre nut, but the top mount seems absolutely welded on. Even twatting it with a hammer doesn't seem to move it. Have I missed something? How do I get the damn thing off?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Gaz mr-s

I can only imagine the the spring seat is rusted to the spring?

househead

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March 20, 2020, 12:14I can only imagine the the spring seat is rusted to the spring?

Yea, could be that, although the spring seat was rotating when I was initially trying to remove the centre nut. Held that with my foot and used an impact wrench on the centre nut.

Should I uncompress the spring and let that push the top-mount off?

Gaz mr-s

The spring seat rotated seperately from the spring?

househead

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March 20, 2020, 12:20The spring seat rotated seperately from the spring?

Nah, the spring seat rotated with the centre nut. Then I looked in the repair manual and it says to hold the spring seat with a screwdriver. Used my foot instead :)

Result now anyway ... loosened the spring compressors a fair bit, then some more twats of the hammer. POP. Job done.

Gaz mr-s

Jolly good.  What's your plan on cleaning them up?

househead

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March 20, 2020, 12:31Jolly good.  What's your plan on cleaning them up?

Wire brush them to within an inch of their lives and then attack it with a paintbrush and some thick Jenolite rust removal stuff. Probably need new topmounts. Springs and dampers will hit the bin.

Gaz mr-s

I planned on getting mine shotblasted & powdercoated. After the blasting though the metal was 'pockmarked' & uneven, worse than I expected. So I decided pretty powdercoating was a waste of money. I painted them with POR15.  Bloomin' expensive but gives a very hard finish.

househead

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March 20, 2020, 14:23I planned on getting mine shotblasted & powdercoated. After the blasting though the metal was 'pockmarked' & uneven, worse than I expected. So I decided pretty powdercoating was a waste of money. I painted them with POR15.  Bloomin' expensive but gives a very hard finish.

Yea I should probably paint them and tbh I don't see myself getting a great finish. I have some zinc182 which I guess would be fine?

Topdownman

You be careful dismantling those springs, if you havent already, watch some youtube videos of them shooting off like a rocket when not done right!

I have been wondering how to clean up rust and apparently soaking in white vinegar for a few hours gets a lot off.

POR15 is used a lot on the VW scene and has a good reputation. It would be way, way stronger than the zinc182 and given the investment you are putting in (have you actually got the inserts yet?) I would say look into the POR15.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

househead

Quote from: Topdownman on March 20, 2020, 20:15You be careful dismantling those springs, if you havent already, watch some youtube videos of them shooting off like a rocket when not done right!

I have been wondering how to clean up rust and apparently soaking in white vinegar for a few hours gets a lot off.

POR15 is used a lot on the VW scene and has a good reputation. It would be way, way stronger than the zinc182 and given the investment you are putting in (have you actually got the inserts yet?) I would say look into the POR15.

Springs off :D yea I watched a few videos first. The Sealey kit I used was pretty good. 3 compressors for one and they have bolt-lockable safety catches on them too. Felt quite confident doing it tbf.

Going to look into the POR15 for sure, makes sense to use the best stuff going for the application!

Not ordered those inserts yet but I will be over next few weeks/months. Will give me time to refurb these struts and do a couple of other jobs I've got lined up.

I'd like to try the vinegar in the ultrasonic actually, we've only got a small amount right now so I need to order a rake of it. I was reading if you do clean with vinegar it's a good idea to wash/rinse with some water and baking soda to neutralise the acid before re-greasing and using again.

Joesson

@househead , vinegar/ acetic acid does work. Vinegar is much diluted but does remove light rust with a soaking but is very inexpensive. A friend has a 25 L container of " strong" Citric acid I guess that by volume was cheaper than a proprietary rust remover.
I typically put the nuts bots screws washers in a tray of solvent or vinegar dependent on greasy or rusty as I remove them from my car as I'm not Ed China.

Topdownman

The koni inserts is something I am thinking about but TCB never gave us a price as far as I know. I think Patrick was also interested.

Cant help thinking that now would be a good time to get the best price as sales may dry up for firms if people are not driving/thinking about other things etc. (Plus they will cost more after the transitition year too).

Maybe worth seeing if there is any interest in a group buy?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

paulj

Had a discussion about new top mounts with the garage doing my front shocks.  Didn't hear back so they have obviously been able to re-use the old ones.  They weren't sure if they could get new ones quickly so I checked the TCB website - available and not expensive it would seem.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Tags: