Time to tinker

Started by Carolyn, March 16, 2020, 15:38

Carolyn

David is over 70 (and some),so we're pretty much self isolating,with just me doing the shopping.

So it's tinker time!  Got to stay busy. 

I decided to inspect and lube my handbrake cables, while replacing the rubber boots that were in tatters.

I used the boots suggested by Gaz MR S.  Don't know how he got them on, but I slit mine open and used some of my special rubber glue to close them around the cable.

I disconnected the cables from the calipers, hung them down, and out came a fair dribble of water. Not good!  Cables were running freely, still.  I let the water drain, worked the cables in and out until they were dry, and then dribbled some light machine oil back in.

Did the brake pedal dance while the cables were disconnected, and I felt the pedal firm up ever so slightly.

All back together now and a very good handbrake effort. 

Now... what to tinker for tomorrow??
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on March 16, 2020, 15:38David is over 70 (and some),so we're pretty much self isolating,with just me doing the shopping.

I decided to inspect and lube my handbrake cables, while replacing the rubber boots that were in tatters.

I used the boots suggested by Gaz MR S.  Don't know how he got them on, but I slit mine open and used some of my special rubber glue to close them around the cable.

I disconnected the cables from the calipers, hung them down, and out came a fair dribble of water. Not good!  Cables were running freely, still.  I let the water drain, worked the cables in and out until they were dry, and then dribbled some light machine oil back in.

Did the brake pedal dance while the cables were disconnected, and I felt the pedal firm up ever so slightly.

No more rattly exhaust?
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on March 16, 2020, 16:24
Quote from: Carolyn on March 16, 2020, 15:38David is over 70 (and some),so we're pretty much self isolating,with just me doing the shopping.

No more rattly exhaust?
Now that you mention it.....

paulj

Brake Fluid
Gearbox Oil
PAS Fluid - to name but three liquids with an expiry date!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Carolyn

Quote from: paulj on March 16, 2020, 17:45Brake Fluid
Gearbox Oil
PAS Fluid - to name but three liquids with an expiry date!

All done recently.. But keep 'em coming!!

Joesson

I can empathise Carolyn being in David's age bracket and apparently " elderly!
You may be aware of my "Thoughts" thread and here is today's offering that pretty much sums up what you say.

In times of great stress or adversity,
it's always best to keep busy,
to plow your anger and your energy
into something positive.
Lee Iacocca

jvanzyl

Can I vote for tinkering with the supercharger mr2?

shnazzle

Quote from: jvanzyl on March 16, 2020, 19:42Can I vote for tinkering with the supercharger mr2?
I was going to say that.. But I know better :)
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Quote from: jvanzyl on March 16, 2020, 19:42Can I vote for tinkering with the supercharger mr2?

Yes you can.  We've been doing a bit on her. Jonbill has some ideas....'working from home'???

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on March 16, 2020, 20:13

Yes you can.  We've been doing a bit on her. Jonbill has some ideas....'working from home'???
We could do remote tuning hehe
...neutiquam erro.

HereComesTheWife

You could make one more super, duper brace for a very nice friend  :)

Carolyn

Quote from: HereComesTheWife on March 16, 2020, 21:00You could make one more super, duper brace for a very nice friend  :)

Not quite that simple.. I have to special order the steel!!  That's why I do them in batches.

But you're on the list for next time!!

Call the midlife!

Pull the arch liners and remove all the accumulated crud and bird's nests?
60% of the time it works everytime...

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Carolyn on March 16, 2020, 15:38I decided to inspect and lube my handbrake cables, while replacing the rubber boots that were in tatters.

/quote]

Well, I'm not a lot younger, & the memory isn't what it was.....so I can't remember!  I do have a tool for expanding rubber sleeves, but it's not really made for the diameter's involved.
I think I might have cut off a narrow neck, but not certain.   
I wouldn't have suggested them if I'd cut them open though.

Gaz mr-s

A few seconds more thought....different sizes of cable ends?  Mines a PFL, - I don't know if the cables are the originals or not. I think the ends that the clevis pin goes through are approx 13-14mm across.

househead

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 16, 2020, 21:51Pull the arch liners and remove all the accumulated crud and bird's nests?

That's a good one. I'm sure I hear odd pebbles and stuff rattling around in mine.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Carolyn

Rattly exhaust being dealt with.

Spare OEM backbox in and spots of corrosion in the area treated and painted.....

Newbie57

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March 16, 2020, 22:11
Quote from: Carolyn on March 16, 2020, 15:38I decided to inspect and lube my handbrake cables, while replacing the rubber boots that were in tatters.

/quote]

Well, I'm not a lot younger, & the memory isn't what it was.....so I can't remember!  I do have a tool for expanding rubber sleeves, but it's not really made for the diameter's involved.

Can I get a link to the boots. Mine are completely shot.

Carolyn

Quote from: Newbie57 on April 12, 2020, 12:58
Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March 16, 2020, 22:11

/quote]

Can I get a link to the boots. Mine are completely shot.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-TF-MGF-MG-Gear-Change-Cable-Rubber-JOINT-END-SEALING-GAITERS-NEW-PAIR/122066392968?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Tags: