Lower wishbone Ball Joint

Started by Benlake, March 15, 2020, 13:47

Benlake

Hi my front wishbone (yaris ones) ball joint is split, I can see replacement ones on ebay for 18 quid, but was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the old one to just replace the ball joint. Would save having to swap the whole thing? Thanks

Joesson

Quote from: Benlake on March 15, 2020, 13:47Hi my front wishbone (yaris ones) ball joint is split, I can see replacement ones on ebay for 18 quid, but was wondering if anyone knew how to remove the old one to just replace the ball joint. Would save having to swap the whole thing? Thanks

There is quite a developing thread about this!
But rather than look at what has gone before  or " search" the same question is asked again.
The answer must be to spend more time on this Forum and not squander time elsewhere!
I understand that the ball joint is typically the part of the OE assembly that fails. Replacement rubber bonded joints are not available and the OE replacement complete arms are prohibitively expensive. The Yaris arms are at an acceptable price level but ( some) seem to have a quality / longevity issue with the ball joint  boot.
Here's the longest / most  up to date thread on the subject:

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=65921.0

Benlake

Benlake

Although I was wondering if anyone had actually removed the ball joint successfully from the wishbone and how it can be done. I cant see that anywhere in the thread unless Ive missed it?

Carolyn

Quote from: Benlake on March 15, 2020, 16:36Although I was wondering if anyone had actually removed the ball joint successfully from the wishbone and how it can be done. I cant see that anywhere in the thread unless Ive missed it?

Probably because you can buy the whole control arm for about the price of a ball joint.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Benlake

Yeah good point thats a bit annoying I ve only had the wishbone 6 months :(

Carolyn

Quote from: Benlake on March 15, 2020, 16:47Yeah good point thats a bit annoying I ve only had the wishbone 6 months :(

Spend a bit more this time. With luck it will last.  One wonders just how long some of them have been sitting in stock.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Bossworld

Is there any possibility we're going outside the intended range of motion using this Yaris ones on our MR2s or are they just cheap and poor quality?

If that's the case, how on earth do you identify 'better' quality parts online versus those that are just the same with a bigger markup?

Reading back through that linked thread I was skeptical at the start as there are lots of MR2 things that quickly become apocryphal (corolla air con condensers for one) but by the time I fitted them last year quite a few others had done as well. I can't see the Facebook group these days but has anyone else reported these issues?

Got my MOT in a couple of months (on paper) and based on this pattern I suspect I'm going to be stripping the car down again

Benlake

I ordered a new wishbone from ebay, I have the hubs off anyway for new bearings. The passenger side ball joint looks fine, but on the drivers side it looks like the rubber perished to me (maybe they were very old stock?).

Will see how we go with this one, we do track the car so maybe if this fails I'll spend more next time.

Luckily I've already fought through all the old rust so no big deal to change it.

Bossworld

Quote from: Benlake on March 19, 2020, 12:49Luckily I've already fought through all the old rust so no big deal to change it.

My thought/hope exactly, and seemed to be the initial direction on the other thread, though I understand it can be a pain in the backside if you'd assumed all was well.

Tags: