Seized rear Caliper

Started by Newbie57, March 15, 2020, 11:08

Newbie57

Caliper sieved on the near side rear last week. I've bought a couple of replacement rear callipers. The seized one is off.
The inside one is missing it's anti squeal shims. Can I buy these separately?
It also has a heavily chamfered front edge.
Also the slider on the carrier has some corrosion at the far end. Not sure if I should replace this as well

househead

Is it definitely the anti squeal shims (which are fitted to the back of the pads) that are missing, or is it the pad carrying shims (which sit in the caliper and hold the pads in place)?

If it's the anti squeal shims then you can probably do without them as many do. I had squeal on mine however until I got new pads which came with anti squeal shims to fit (ebc yellow). Previously they had mintex pads without anti squeal shims.

If it's the pad carrying shims you're missing, then I would say you want those. They can be had on eBay or via TCB, and likely many other places. Without those, I think your pad would be flopping around which probably isn't ideal :)
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

househead

Rear anti rattle shims...

Search eBay for 333181521222

Worth also replacing sliders if they're looking less than best.

Rear slider kit...

Search eBay for 332929722138

Newbie57

It's the ones that actually go on the pads. One the side the poison acts on. I can see the witness mark where the piston touched the back of the pad

househead

Are they stock pads or aftermarket? Not sure the stock shims will fit all aftermarket pads (which might be why yours are without?).

I think the shims come with the stock pads and if not then I seem to remember tcb stocking them. You could give Paul a bell...

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/

Alternatively, I think most on here don't use the shims and just apply a small layer of copper slip to the back of the pad and the "ears" of the pad that sit in the anti rattle shims. Be careful not to get any on the discs or front of the pads though, of course.

Tags: