Installing brake lines

Started by househead, March 12, 2020, 11:01

Joesson

Quote from: SV-3 on March 13, 2020, 11:01
Quote from: shnazzle on March 13, 2020, 00:39HEL lines did indeed have the issue where the connector missed the wide "ledge" that allows it to sit on the back of the mount on the strut. So, the connector just slides through the hole on the mount.
You  use fresh U-clips to prop it in place tightly (and ever so rightly).
Mine have been in place for years.
The goodridges don't have this issue, but they do have a bit of an issue with the angle of the fronts I believe.

Fresh stock is best but not for the price!
Am I detecting a hint of Roachford? ;)

That has gone right over my head, but then there is very little for it to get tangled in!

househead

Here is the kit that arrived...

You cannot view this attachment.

So I presume the black clips do something like this...

You cannot view this attachment.

Or are they for something else and the line should be allowed to move a little within that mount?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Topdownman

Looks like you need the clips too.

On ebay for £2.98, Hel performance brake hose retaining circlip clips (4 pack ).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

househead

Quote from: Topdownman on March 13, 2020, 12:24Looks like you need the clips too.

On ebay for £2.98, Hel performance brake hose retaining circlip clips (4 pack ).

Great stuff, I'll get them on order, thanks.

Bossworld

Quote from: shnazzle on March 13, 2020, 00:44Also, when I did my lines, after struggling for ages with fluid pissing everywhere the friendly mechanic on site ambled over and calmly said;
"put some cling film under the master reservoir cap, or press the brake in and prop it down against the seat. Never leak fluid". And then he ambled away again smugly. Whilst @Tomo70 and I paused and replayed the last 2hrs in our head wondering where the F... he was 1.5hrs and about 200ml of fluid ago.

So, there you go.

I do both, probably from previous advice you've given on here.  Cling film under the cap and a brick or two on the brake pedal.

shnazzle

Quote from: shnazzle on March 13, 2020, 00:39HEL lines did indeed have the issue where the connector missed the wide "ledge" that allows it to sit on the back of the mount on the strut. So, the connector just slides through the hole on the mount.
The goodridges don't have this issue, but they do have a bit of an issue with the angle of the fronts I believe.

Eh?
...neutiquam erro.

SV-3

Quote from: shnazzle on March 13, 2020, 14:34

Eh?
Give a listen to "Only to be with you" (Roachford)
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Dev

As the car ages the soft brass fittings on the hard line become so hard to remove that its possible to have them rounded out easily. I had this problem as well as a few others when changing the lines where the flared wrench made for this application wasn't enough. This tool was invaluable if you can find it. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WDYJFC0/ref=dp_cerb_1

househead

Quote from: Dev on March 14, 2020, 15:16As the car ages the soft brass fittings on the hard line become so hard to remove that its possible to have them rounded out easily. I had this problem as well as a few others when changing the lines where the flared wrench made for this application wasn't enough. This tool was invaluable if you can find it. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WDYJFC0/ref=dp_cerb_1

Thanks Dev, I'll invest in that if the flared wrench and gallons of plusgas don't do the job!

househead

Can anyone confirm the black plastic clips are to be used like this...

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=68989.0;attach=8979;image

Or do they have some other use?

Tags: