Sealey Brake/Clutch Bleeder System

Started by househead, March 6, 2020, 13:18

househead

I bought a Sealey Brake/Clutch bleeding kit for one-man bleeding and flushing...

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637206325/brake-clutch-bleeding-system

Got everything out front today to start the job and the reservoir cap that comes with it doesn't fit our car :(

Has anyone used one of these before? Any idea what adapter I could use? There is a universal adapter (£27) but I can't find a local stockist and I'd have to wait till Monday for delivery, in which case I'd rather spend some time trying to identify a proper cap that might fit. In any case, spending £27 for a bodge universal adapter, I'm thinking this kit on ebay might be a better shout...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13pcs-Adapter-Air-Pressure-Bleeder-Tool-Kit-Professional-Garage-Brake-Bleed-E20/402036263822

... As it would fit more cars "properly" and would provide a better seal, no-doubt. The equivalent official Sealey cap set is over £150 ... definitely not paying that!
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Joesson

@househead
I first bleed brakes over 50 years ago, a first generation Mini.
Things weren't as high tech in those days, nor so expensive. I used a tube and a jar and that is what I use nowadays on my 2 with the assistance of Mrs Joesson.
However, I did go low tech all those years ago and bought one of these, or something very similar, even the same orange tube:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wot-Nots-Pearl-PWN189-Automatic-Brake/dp/B00ALTZEQ0/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=brake+bleed+tube&qid=1583500904&sr=8-4

I don't have it today, 5 house moves, a working lifetime of Company cars and iirc the rubber started to perish. Not much is made to last forever, even then.
I have mentioned this split tube device on here previously but couldn't find it on the web, but got lucky today.
Does it work? Yes it did back then and my guess is it will today.

househead

Somewhat of a sob story but I can't find much time when my missus is home, in the daylight hours, with enough time and inclination to help me with a "car thing" :D

I'm also now about £40 invested in this bit of kit and keen to see it through. I think it will be useful once I find the right cap, especially for a full flush.

It may be however that for this time I have to go back to basics and promise some gift or date night :D

Joesson

Quote from: househead on March  6, 2020, 13:38Somewhat of a sob story but I can't find much time when my missus is home, in the daylight hours, with enough time and inclination to help me with a "car thing" :D

I'm also now about £40 invested in this bit of kit and keen to see it through. I think it will be useful once I find the right cap, especially for a full flush.

It may be however that for this time I have to go back to basics and promise some gift or date night :D

I guess it's too late to get a refund as unfit for intended purpose and appreciate that your are now indebted to your investment. But for clarity, the split tube can be used solo.

shnazzle

I did the same. Gunson kit. 
Basically all you can do is get a universal cap, it has a notched belt that that goes around the master cylinder so you can strap it into place.
I never did get one. 
So, I spent 30 quid on a clear plastic tube from that kit that I now use with a clear container :) 

Bit of clean fluid in jar, tube on bleed nipple, other end of tube in jar. Open bleed nipple, press brake, walk out, close bleed nipple.
The only annoying part is that you can't see when no more bubbles are appearing so it's a lot of walking back/forth.
...neutiquam erro.

Gaz mr-s

I bought a cheap kit too.  Not £40.   :o
The 2nd time I went to use it it didn't work...the ball-bearing on the end was rusty.

A way of seeing the bubbles solo is to video it with your phone.

onion86

I just use one of the these Motorcycle Bleeding Kits (not this exact one, but looks identical - mine was from Halfords) with a 1 way valve and tape it to a glass jar. I've changed fluid on the '2 4/5 times now using that without any issues.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

househead

Thanks for the replies all.

@onion86 I saw that motorcycle bleeder. Is that a one-man job? Certainly cheap enough and Halfords is just around the corner.

I'm guessing with a one-way valve you pump the brake and fluid comes out and when you release the brake the air is pulled in via the master cylinder reservoir rather than at the bleed nipple?

househead

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on March  6, 2020, 14:41I bought a cheap kit too.  Not £40.   :o
The 2nd time I went to use it it didn't work...the ball-bearing on the end was rusty.

A way of seeing the bubbles solo is to video it with your phone.

Nice tip!

Topdownman

I too have a useless brake bleeder....

There is a youtube video of a guy making his own vacuum bleeder using an old hand spray bottle top that does the job very quickly.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Bossworld

Quote from: househead on March  6, 2020, 15:08Thanks for the replies all.

@onion86 I saw that motorcycle bleeder. Is that a one-man job? Certainly cheap enough and Halfords is just around the corner.

I'm guessing with a one-way valve you pump the brake and fluid comes out and when you release the brake the air is pulled in via the master cylinder reservoir rather than at the bleed nipple?

I used the cheapo one man kit for the clutch slave without issue.  The only problem I ever found with it, was the rubber thing that tries to keep it tied over the bleed nipple.  In the end, gave up with it shooting off under pressure, and just connected the hose directly to the nipple.  The brake fluid does make the hose go hard with age, so I've just been chopping chunks off it after each job (will need a new one soon).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/152525716026?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=152525716026&targetid=879157198036&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006886&poi=&campaignid=9437867021&mkgroupid=95526236133&rlsatarget=pla-879157198036&abcId=1140486&merchantid=113427501&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_7aj-KOG6AIVQ7DtCh3t3AAwEAQYASABEgJNOvD_BwE

For the clutch, the pedal just stayed depressed at the end of its travel and the fluid/air was expunged, I then nipped back under the car and tightened the bleeder nipple, before pulling the pedal back up by hand.

For brakes, what you've said sort of makes sense to me but I'd love to know how it actually works when the pedal is released with the bleed nipple still open (bearing in mind the brake pedal has a return spring whereas the clutch doesn't).

Topdownman

Quote from: Topdownman on March  6, 2020, 15:15I too have a useless brake bleeder....

There is a youtube video of a guy making his own vacuum bleeder using an old hand spray bottle top that does the job very quickly.

This one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0SYcbzIbo
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

househead

Job done in the end wit a version of this..

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/automotive-tools/europat-vizibleed-brake-and-clutch-bleeding-kit-321141.html

It's a quid cheaper without the collection bottle. Basically a one way valve like the one linked above. Managed to get out and replace 500ml ish of fluid, so whilst I didn't watch for bubbles I think I will have got all of the air out. Pedal feels great.

Next stop clutch!

Thanks for help all, I'll check out that video @Topdownman

Joesson

Quote from: househead on March  6, 2020, 15:08Thanks for the replies all.

Just like the " split rubber tube" !

househead

Yep! Once again, basics win out. I'll try and find a use in future for the expensive toy :D

One other advantage of it if I can get it work with this car is that it can be used to see if there's any leaks.

Hawkes41

I known ive missed the whole conversation but thought it may be useful to share my solution too.

I have replaced all 4 caliper bleed nipples with goodridge speed bleeders,  which are just bleed nipples with a one way valve. So you open it half a turn then pump the pedal with a tube and bottle connected then tighten when finished! Means I'll never have to rely on clever equipment if I find myself with an issue while out and about!

househead

Quote from: Hawkes41 on March  6, 2020, 19:47I known ive missed the whole conversation but thought it may be useful to share my solution too.

I have replaced all 4 caliper bleed nipples with goodridge speed bleeders,  which are just bleed nipples with a one way valve. So you open it half a turn then pump the pedal with a tube and bottle connected then tighten when finished! Means I'll never have to rely on clever equipment if I find myself with an issue while out and about!

Now that's a good idea!

I'm planning on installing braided stainless hoses at some point in the future so I might take the opportunity to install these fancy speed nipples too. Good shout!

househead

So I've bought the Draper universal cap, which is apparently compatible with the Sealey kit and reportedly a little better than the Sealey one (on account of the stepped rubber stopper I imagine. It's also a couple quid cheaper.

https://www.drapertools.com/product/28837/Expert-Universal-Brake-Cap-Adaptor

I'll get to test it out when I check for leaks or install the new brake hoses. One-way bleeder screws sound like a no-brainer anyway. Cannot think of a scenario where you want any air or liquid going in via the bleeder.

shnazzle

Draper! That's the brand of my kit. Not Gunson. 
And that also reminded me, I did get the universal cap. 

Wouldn't hold pressure for me. 

Basically for the faff this was to set up.... Tube in a jar :)
...neutiquam erro.

househead

Quote from: shnazzle on March  7, 2020, 20:13Draper! That's the brand of my kit. Not Gunson.

If it's crap it can go back within 30 days :D

What pressure should I be using anyhow with this car? 10-15psi safe enough?

shnazzle

Quote from: househead on March  7, 2020, 20:33
Quote from: shnazzle on March  7, 2020, 20:13Draper! That's the brand of my kit. Not Gunson.

If it's crap it can go back within 30 days :D

What pressure should I be using anyhow with this car? 10-15psi safe enough?
I don't remember but it said in the destructions.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: