Takes longer to crank on a hot start?

Started by Bossworld, November 11, 2019, 19:12

Bossworld

Battery has been replaced, quick disconnect removed.

Car starts very happily when cold but if I have to start it up shortly after switching off (e.g. just got home after an 11 mile drive, ten mins later had to  drop forward to swap kids seats over (starts fine) then 3/4 mins later fired up again.

It cranks for longer on that last start.

Only obvious thing - I think the startup noise changed when the clutch was done last year but never really pursued it.

Could the starter be on its way out?

Carolyn

Quote from: Bossworld on November 11, 2019, 19:12Battery has been replaced, quick disconnect removed.

Car starts very happily when cold but if I have to start it up shortly after switching off (e.g. just got home after an 11 mile drive, ten mins later had to  drop forward to swap kids seats over (starts fine) then 3/4 mins later fired up again.

It cranks for longer on that last start.

Only obvious thing - I think the startup noise changed when the clutch was done last year but never really pursued it.

Could the starter be on its way out?
possible.
Don't groom a working horse, though...
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

paulj

Could it be the ECU mis reading the hot fuel/air mixture?  Before you buy a starter try a MAF clean to restore the balance.

I might be totally wrong but worth a go as its a 10min cheap job!

Mine used to labour on warm starts the first season I had it, a service and MAF clean over the winter put paid to that problem.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Bossworld

Quote from: paulj on November 11, 2019, 19:16Could it be the ECU mis reading the hot fuel/air mixture?  Before you buy a starter try a MAF clean to restore the balance.

I might be totally wrong but worth a go as its a 10min cheap job!

Mine used to labour on warm starts the first season I had it, a service and MAF clean over the winter put paid to that problem.

I think I've got a spare MAF so will give it a look, mine was cleaned out when the Airbox was replaced at Dick's (old one had a crack in it).

thetyrant

How long since air filter was done ?  a clogged air filter makes hot starts more difficult for engine and i once bought a Daihatsu charade many years ago that really struggled to start when hot, turned out it was just the air filter never been changed in years by po so was easy/cheap fix :D... also as suggested a clean of Maf would be worthwhile doing
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Bossworld

Quote from: thetyrant on November 12, 2019, 12:00How long since air filter was done ?  a clogged air filter makes hot starts more difficult for engine and i once bought a Daihatsu charade many years ago that really struggled to start when hot, turned out it was just the air filter never been changed in years by po so was easy/cheap fix :D... also as suggested a clean of Maf would be worthwhile doing

Last Jan / 3000 miles ago.  Maf was cleaned last month when we swapped the airbox out but I believe I'm running the original MAF, I'll have to locate the spare Dick gave me.

Bossworld

Coming back to this, I fitted the spare MAF and in the short time I was back on the road in March can confirm it was still happening.

While the car is SORN thought I'd take another look. Can someone enlighten a simpleton as to the location of the starter motor? I assume I'm under the car rather than the back of the engine bay?

Thanks

shnazzle

Quote from: Bossworld on April 14, 2020, 23:40Coming back to this, I fitted the spare MAF and in the short time I was back on the road in March can confirm it was still happening.

While the car is SORN thought I'd take another look. Can someone enlighten a simpleton as to the location of the starter motor? I assume I'm under the car rather than the back of the engine bay?

Thanks
Correct. Can't miss it when under the car. You'll definitely miss it looking from the top :)
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

In front of the gearbox, ish..You cannot view this attachment.
That's from underneath, you can see the intake manifold above which should give you some bearings..
60% of the time it works everytime...

Bossworld

Thank you, will get it up on axle stands at some point soon and take a look.  Think on my Reader's Ride thread someone suggested the connection could be loose.  Like I say I can't see the clutch change/starter motor noise changing being just a coincidence.

Tags: