New rattle drivers side door or side trim

Started by househead, September 1, 2019, 20:36

househead

Since adding Dev's door bushes and also fitting my hardtop kit, I've picked up a quite bad rattle when going over bumps. I'm pretty sure it's a completely new rattle rather than one which is more prominent due to bracing. Not had a chance to take the door card and rear trim pieces (that come off to do the hardtop kit), but does anyone know any obvious culprits? I have a feeling it might be at the top of the seatbelt. My drivers side window also makes a strange sound when being wound down (but not up) like it's struggling, but that has always been there.

I did check that the door sill and other trim pieces and they seem attached as they should be.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

StuC

Is there a tiny set of maracas in the pocket?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

househead

Quote from: StuC on September  2, 2019, 10:17Is there a tiny set of maracas in the pocket?

Ahhh maybe that's where I left those  >:D

thetyrant

I had a little rattle/buzz on passenger door on mine, on investigation i found one of the white clips that holds door panel/card on was missing!, i also spotted the clip behind the seat and when i refitted it onto door card rattle was gone, hope yours is as easy to fix!
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Topdownman

Since fitting my door bushes, I get a banging from the drivers door on rough roads. I am not sure if I need to put more tape on that side or if it wear on the hinge that allows the door to move?

Either way, I think the bushes do have side effects of creating new noises as less flex means the forces end up somewhere else and will inevitably lead to this type of issue. If you do trace the issue then you may find something else is now making noise!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

househead

Quote from: thetyrant on September  2, 2019, 11:17I had a little rattle/buzz on passenger door on mine, on investigation i found one of the white clips that holds door panel/card on was missing!, i also spotted the clip behind the seat and when i refitted it onto door card rattle was gone, hope yours is as easy to fix!

I'm going to take my door card off later today and check that. Pretty sure all the clips were in when the door last came off (to do speakers) and I put silicone sealant on them too. It's possible one has rattled loose tho!

househead

Quote from: Topdownman on September  2, 2019, 11:20Since fitting my door bushes, I get a banging from the drivers door on rough roads. I am not sure if I need to put more tape on that side or if it wear on the hinge that allows the door to move?

Either way, I think the bushes do have side effects of creating new noises as less flex means the forces end up somewhere else and will inevitably lead to this type of issue. If you do trace the issue then you may find something else is now making noise!

Yea I did wonder if it's just a side effect of sending forces where they're not intended to go. Not getting any such noise from passenger side though. Like you, it's only on rough roads (and generally at speed) rather than every single bump

Topdownman

Thats why my first thought was more wear on the hinge allow the most used door to move up and down and bang?

No idea how much a new hinge costs or how hard they are to change though.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

Quote from: househead on September  2, 2019, 12:44
Quote from: Topdownman on September  2, 2019, 11:20Since fitting my door bushes, I get a banging from the drivers door on rough roads. I am not sure if I need to put more tape on that side or if it wear on the hinge that allows the door to move?

Yea I did wonder if it's just a side effect of sending forces where they're not intended to go. Not getting any such noise from passenger side though. Like you, it's only on rough roads (and generally at speed) rather than every single bump

The door is not really designed to be put under that stress, nor are the hinges.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Carolyn

Quote from: Topdownman on September  2, 2019, 13:21Thats why my first thought was more wear on the hinge allow the most used door to move up and down and bang?

No idea how much a new hinge costs or how hard they are to change though.

Unless you have some very special spanners, the front wing has to come off to change the hinge.  They are bolt-on items at least.  If the rest of the car is anything to go by, the hinges off another Toyota model probably fit.  No idea how much either!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Topdownman

Thanks Carolyn. I doubt I have any special spanners in my limited toolbox!

I guess the first thing to try is more tape to see if getting tighter makes it quieter.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

househead

Mine could probably be a little tighter, but I'd like to be able to open the door without putting a foot on an adjacent panel ... doesn't bode well for the street cred  :))

Also, I have the special wax, which btw smells fantastic, but it does rub off pretty quickly imo.

househead

So I think I may have worked this one out ... drivers side exterior door handle assembly was a bit loose and rattled when thumped lightly with the side of my fist. Took door card off, tightened some bolts (so much so I snapped one), and added some more flashing tape around it. There was also a bit of metal which doesn't seem to do much that was hitting other metal bits inside there. I bent it a little (it's soft) so that it no longer makes contact with anything. Definite improvement on the fist test but not had it out on crappy roads at speed yet. Will report back. I suspect adding door bushes and other bracing and taking it for some spirited driving made something that was a bit loose, looser. Fingers crossed!

Tags: