Soft top side cable replacement

Started by FireFury, September 1, 2019, 17:36

FireFury

The soft top has a ~2mm steel cable sewn into each side that runs around the back of the side windows.  It goes through a bracket at the bottom end and the passenger side one has rusted through and snapped where it goes into the bracket and the soft top has started tearing from that point.

So I want to re-cable that side and patch the hole.  I've drilled out the cable from the bracket at the bottom, but I can't figure out where the top/front of the cable is anchored and how to access it.  Anyone got any ideas?

My alternative plan is to cut into the edge of the soft top higher up and connect the new cable to the old, but I'd obviously prefer to just replace the whole lot without damaging the soft top further.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonable material to patch the tear with?  Its about 4cm long, so I was planning on gluing on a single long patch onto both sides, folded around the cable.
- Steve

paulj

Cant help on the cable, but for a repair how about goretex tent repair patches or yacht sailing repair patches....
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Tags: