Front subframe? Urgent Help!

Started by tricky1138, August 7, 2019, 12:56

tricky1138

So car is in garage today getting new front wishbone.

Garage has just rang to say they cant fit it as the "front subframe" has rusted through and needs a new one.

Anyone know if its replaceable? Struggling to find pictures to explain it better! :(
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

J03

I'm assuming it's the cross member that the steering rack bolts to also? Unfortunately it's welded to the front chassis rails, so you'd need to chop out the rotted section & weld in a good section from a breaker car.
The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

tricky1138

Quote from: J03 on August  7, 2019, 13:19I'm assuming it's the cross member that the steering rack bolts to also? Unfortunately it's welded to the front chassis rails, so you'd need to chop out the rotted section & weld in a good section from a breaker car.

Thought that might be the case! :(

Will get down to the garage and see how much of it I need.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Bossworld

From what I remember there are two upright 'tails', one on either side, that the wishbone is bolted through.

There is another bolt/bushing that goes upright (as you look under the car) but I'm not sure if that would constitute the subframe.

Excellent picture stolen from Stu C

Suspect your issue is A.

tricky1138

Quote from: Bossworld on August  7, 2019, 14:02From what I remember there are two upright 'tails', one on either side, that the wishbone is bolted through.

There is another bolt/bushing that goes upright (as you look under the car) but I'm not sure if that would constitute the subframe.

Suspect your issue is A.

Cheers Joe - is A the front most?

Bossworld

Quote from: tricky1138 on August  7, 2019, 14:05
Quote from: Bossworld on August  7, 2019, 14:02From what I remember there are two upright 'tails', one on either side, that the wishbone is bolted through.

Suspect your issue is A.

Cheers Joe - is A the front most?

Yes - the bit to the right of the picture must be the inside of an alloy wheel,

StuC

+1 @Bossworld

My picture is taken from the front of the car looking backwards on the passenger side.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

tricky1138

Quote from: StuC on August  7, 2019, 17:17+1 @Bossworld

My picture is taken from the front of the car looking backwards on the passenger side.

Cheers both of you.

Been to see the car and Joe is right, it's where A attaches to the car. That bit has rusted through so the bolt won't hold! :(

Guessing big job to cut out the whole of the front of the car and replace the whole thing!  :(

Will any breakers cars be any better!

Bossworld

Quote from: tricky1138 on August  7, 2019, 19:11
Quote from: StuC on August  7, 2019, 17:17+1 @Bossworld

Cheers both of you.

Been to see the car and Joe is right, it's where A attaches to the car. That bit has rusted through so the bolt won't hold! :(

Guessing big job to cut out the whole of the front of the car and replace the whole thing!  :(

Will any breakers cars be any better!

]
I'll admit I don't know the first thing about welding and my soldering skills are also useless, but I'd have a Google to see pictures of the car stripped out of the frunk and see what's necessary from there.

Fortunately you don't have an engine in the way, and once you've taken out the spare wheel well it's not like there's equipment everywhere.

You could also see if the online repair manual (can't link to it) has any guidance as to how far back you need to cut.  Would think Dick or Dean would be your best shout.

As for whether a breaker would be any better - my car is 14 years old, currently lives by the coast, seemingly previously lived in the sea and mine was OK, so there should be others out there.

tricky1138

Didn't think mine was bad, but garage seams to think it is!

Have spoke to Dick and Dean. Just waiting on them checking.

shnazzle

Remember it's a key alignment point. Chopping it out and replacing with a breaker cut-out is asking for alignment issues and weak welds. You're better off cleaning it up, treating, and using new metal on top. Keeps the alignment, holes, structure, etc
...neutiquam erro.

tricky1138

Quote from: shnazzle on August  7, 2019, 21:04Remember it's a key alignment point. Chopping it out and replacing with a breaker cut-out is asking for alignment issues and weak welds. You're better off cleaning it up, treating, and using new metal on top. Keeps the alignment, holes, structure, etc

Would have thought if it could be repaired, they would have gone down that route. As you say replacing is a big job with lots of problems!

shnazzle

Quote from: tricky1138 on August  7, 2019, 21:21
Quote from: shnazzle on August  7, 2019, 21:04Remember it's a key alignment point. Chopping it out and replacing with a breaker cut-out is asking for alignment issues and weak welds. You're better off cleaning it up, treating, and using new metal on top. Keeps the alignment, holes, structure, etc

Would have thought if it could be repaired, they would have gone down that route. As you say replacing is a big job with lots of problems!
Never assume competence and people's ability to see all solutions. As harsh as that sounds
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: