Rear panel advice

Started by Scooby250, July 30, 2019, 21:38

Scooby250

Hi All,

The previous owner of my MR2 had a small incident and caught a post when reversing which has caused minimal damage. So I was looking at a body shop to sort it out and respray it but am I right in thinking they can just bolt on and off?
If so I have seen a really good condition one up for grabs so is it worth buying and bolting on?
2005 Sable FL, 2zz engine, Cobra quad exhaust, Malian sports cat, TRD spoiler, tte/gb body kit, T-Sport Leather Seats, 17" Rial TX Alloys, Toyo Proxie TR1, KYB shocks and Tein springs

Gaz mr-s

"Panel"??  A rear wing?  Yes they do. May depend on the colour as to whether the paint will match...

Scooby250

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July 30, 2019, 22:38"Panel"??  A rear wing?  Yes they do. May depend on the colour as to whether the paint will match...

Fantastic news, my car is Black so with any luck should be ok.
2005 Sable FL, 2zz engine, Cobra quad exhaust, Malian sports cat, TRD spoiler, tte/gb body kit, T-Sport Leather Seats, 17" Rial TX Alloys, Toyo Proxie TR1, KYB shocks and Tein springs

StuC

From memory there is a weld that needs to be drilled out for the rear quarter panel. It's accessible though.

I'll see if I can dig out the thread
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

StuC

Gaz mr-s

I had the left rear off recently, - I didn't encounter a weld.

StuC

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July 31, 2019, 09:37I had the left rear off recently, - I didn't encounter a weld.

Is there a chance it wasn't the original panel?

Gaz mr-s

No idea Stu. Not impossible.........??

frogger

I swapped mine off. Very easy indeed. Did the swap in no time at all, on the kerbside of where I picked up the replacement wing from. I did need to drill a few small spot welds I think.

Now I just need to replace every other panel on the car.  That one is the best one.

StuC

Quote from: frogger on August  2, 2019, 17:40I swapped mine off. Very easy indeed. Did the swap in no time at all, on the kerbside of where I picked up the replacement wing from. I did need to drill a few small spot welds I think.

Now I just need to replace every other panel on the car.  That one is the best one.

I joe what you mean. I have a drivers rear wing in the garage. I have a feeling it will make all the other panels look less yellow! Lol

Scooby250

Thanks for all the fed back I now have both sides rear wings so may give this a go tomorrow. Can you do this with the wheels on or would you recommend putting the car on axel stands and removing them.

Bossworld

I'm sure i've read from Mr Sloan or Dean @ Rutland that there two ways to remove, one being by taking out the spot welds, the other by taking out the panel the spot welds are attached to as well?

Scooby250

Well I have had fun today.
Changed both rear wings, new rear bumper, passenger rear light and new aerial fitted.
Not to bad to be fair just took all day to do.

shnazzle

Quote from: Bossworld on August  3, 2019, 18:09I'm sure i've read from Mr Sloan or Dean @ Rutland that there two ways to remove, one being by taking out the spot welds, the other by taking out the panel the spot welds are attached to as well?
That's right. I've had  a peek and you can get to those two bolts that remove the panel. Getting bakc on though....
...neutiquam erro.

Scooby250

Well I thought I would put some pics up of my wing, bumper replacement also showing off my new dual exhaust that I fitted last week. Just the tte spoiler to do and the rear is complete

StuC

@Scooby250 what did you find under the wing fixings wise?

Good job on getting it changed out. :D

Scooby250

Quote from: StuC on August  5, 2019, 23:01@Scooby250 what did you find under the wing fixings wise?

Good job on getting it changed out. :D

Chassis was really clean no signs of rust. The only fixing which is an issue is the rear fixing just before  the wheel arch both sides bolts sheared off and not exactly an easy place to try and fit another bolt as facing the ground. One thing for people to note is that in the same area dirt and damp gets in which courses the wings to start rusting on the inside.
Think I will remove every other year and carry out any repairs needed to prevent any problems.
Having the wings off gives you access to the drains which I cleaned out also wiring looms which I will be revisiting soon as need to get power to my new seats which are electric.

Tags: