Clutch squeak

Started by Bossworld, July 29, 2019, 11:29

Bossworld

Any thoughts on how to combat clutch squeak on the drive-way?

I had the clutch replaced last summer but it seems not enough grease was added to the designated points on the clutch fork, as after a few months I started to get horrendous squeaks when pressing the pedal.  Bit embarassing with the roof down.

I'm convinced it's not down at the pedal end and I've applied liberal spray grease around there.  Also seems to differ in severity depending on whether it's been raining outside  :-\

When the car was on ramps last year, I managed to retract the clutch fork boot and the other boot on the slave.  They were an absolute nightmare to get back into position due to lack of access, so I'd rather not remove them again.

I have low level ramps (caravan levelling ones), some Halfords standard axle stands, and a new pair of Halfords ratcheting stands that go a little higher.  But from memory, I just didn't have enough access under the car to do anything useful like unbolting the clutch slave.

I believe the clutch fork boot has an access hole on it for greasing, but is there any danger to contaminating the clutch if attempting this route?

Only other thought is there's a place not a million miles away that hires out their workshop space with a lift for about £20 an hour - perhaps that's the best answer if unbolting the slave is the only route?

Thanks

EDIT: Found some posts (looks like I've asked this before :rolleyes: )

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=61317.0

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/132-corolla-9th-gen-1st-gen-matrix-2003-2008/668953-diy-2003-2008-corolla-matrix-pontiac-vibe-squeaky-clutch-noise-fix-pics.html

normanh

I solved mine, it was the shoes I was wearing on the pedal. Just stopped waring those when I drive the MR.

Norman

Bossworld

Quote from: normanh on July 29, 2019, 19:26I solved mine, it was the shoes I was wearing on the pedal. Just stopped waring those when I drive the MR.

Norman

This is 100% at the gearbox. I get something of a click noise at the pedal end that I'm sure I'll get weary of once I've fixed this noise :)

Dev

This kind of squeak is very common and often due to the clutch fork where it pivots. You will need to study the picture of the fork and visualize where the pivot ball is. Once you do that you can take a long screw driver with a dab of moly grease and apply it to that area and it should solve the squeak. 

I would only use Moly grease because once it evaporates it turns into a dry lubricant. 

Bossworld

Quote from: Dev on August 16, 2019, 15:36This kind of squeak is very common and often due to the clutch fork where it pivots. You will need to study the picture of the fork and visualize where the pivot ball is. Once you do that you can take a long screw driver with a dab of moly grease and apply it to that area and it should solve the squeak. 

I would only use Moly grease because once it evaporates it turns into a dry lubricant. 

Hi Dec

Yeah I'm convinced that's the cause too. My issue is at 6' 2" and nearly 14 stone I can't comfortably get at it.

The last time I tried, I undid the two 12mm bolts for the slave and pulled down the fork boot. I had absolute hell on getting all three reattached and didn't have enough access to swing an arm near there.

I imagine it's a ten minute job if you have access to a lift!

Dev

Quote from: Bossworld on August 16, 2019, 18:18
Quote from: Dev on August 16, 2019, 15:36This kind of squeak is very common and often due to the clutch fork where it pivots. You will need to study the picture of the fork and visualize where the pivot ball is. Once you do that you can take a long screw driver with a dab of moly grease and apply it to that area and it should solve the squeak. 

Hi Dec

Yeah I'm convinced that's the cause too. My issue is at 6' 2" and nearly 14 stone I can't comfortably get at it.

The last time I tried, I undid the two 12mm bolts for the slave and pulled down the fork boot. I had absolute hell on getting all three reattached and didn't have enough access to swing an arm near there.

I have no idea what the child labor laws are in your country. I once had a kid reach in the engine bay while I held him to pull out a part that was not accessible by my big hands.

Bossworld

Quote from: Dev on August 16, 2019, 18:30

Hi Dec

I have no idea what the child labor laws are in your country. I once had a kid reach in the engine bay while I held him to pull out a part that was not accessible by my big hands.

My eldest currently sees £2 for helping to wash two cars as a good return for her time. May enquire as to her mechanical skills.

Apologies for the Dec auto correct earlier!

Dev

Quote from: Bossworld on August 16, 2019, 19:30
Quote from: Dev on August 16, 2019, 18:30

Hi Dec

My eldest currently sees £2 for helping to wash two cars as a good return for her time. May enquire as to her mechanical skills.

Apologies for the Dec auto correct earlier!

No worries, I figured as much. 

Tags: