Brake calliper guide pins

Started by househead, July 25, 2019, 11:37

househead

So some may remember I was recently experiencing a clunking sound when braking. At first it was at the top of pedal travel and it developed into a more consistent end-of-pedal travel thing. On one day, the brake fluid had reduced and I had to top it up to get rid of the warning light.

I took it to my local garage and they found a leak in the NS front, and they had to tighten the guide/slider pins. Picked up the car and it has been fine for a week. Then over the last few days, the OS front starts making the exact same sound albeit not every time I use the brakes and only with smooth progressive braking. So I took it back there again this morning and they have no time to look until Mon but he said they'd switched the sliders round on the two fronts last time and that I'll need a replacement probably from a main dealer (who they'll reach out to). These things look cheap online, what can I expect them to charge me for it?

Does this all sound par for the course?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Carolyn

No it doesn't sound anything close to par.  More like double bogey.

I've never come across anyone swapping half the caliper from side to side.  What was that intended to achieve?

If slider pins are badly worn, they can be replaced.

NOBODY in this club buys calipers from the main dealer.

Refurbished ones are readily available for very reasonable prices.  See Big Red....
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

Quote from: Carolyn on July 25, 2019, 11:47No it doesn't sound anything close to par.  More like double bogey.
I've never come across anyone swapping half the caliper from side to side.  What was that intended to achieve?
If slider pins are badly worn, they can be replaced.
NOBODY in this club buys calipers from the main dealer.
Refurbished ones are readily available for very reasonable prices.  See Big Red....

It's possible they swapped more than just the pin. I hadn't realised they'd swapped anything around until I went there today. When I'd previously picked it up all they said is they'd tightened something and fixed a brake fluid leak.

So the callipers on the car currently were refurbed via Big Redd <2years ago. Previous owner made a big thing of having a go at it himself and then repenting and sending them to Big Redd. I have the receipt.

Possibly then it's a blessing in disguise they couldn't look at it today  :))

Car drives pretty much fine, but I know it will get progressively worse.

Carolyn

Could be as simple as a missing/sloppy spring clip...

Worth having the wheels off yourself and having a poke/pry around and see if anything is obviously loose.

If you fancy a weekend drive up from London. we can have a look together...

househead

Quote from: Carolyn on July 25, 2019, 12:04If you fancy a weekend drive up from London. we can have a look together...

That would be awesome actually, thank you for the kind offer!

This weekend is mostly out but the following weekend is a potential?

Carolyn

Keep me posted.....

H1GRM

Quote from: househead on July 25, 2019, 12:15
Quote from: Carolyn on July 25, 2019, 12:04If you fancy a weekend drive up from London. we can have a look together...

That would be awesome actually, thank you for the kind offer!

This weekend is mostly out but the following weekend is a potential?

Ah - Ready for the low speed maneuverability test!!!  :)
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

Tags: