Keys - need a new (black) master key

Started by househead, July 24, 2019, 14:35

househead

So the plastic part on my key is very close to full on snapping :(

I did some reading previously and read about a "key number" which would ordinarily have been on the master key keyring. I don't have one of these.

I have one black master key with immobiliser buttons and one grey key without.

Currently just wrapped some ellecy tape around it. What are my options? Ideally would like a foldable key - much nicer on the thighs!

Anyone done that, and what is the relevance of this key number?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

paulj

If all the electronics are working then it is all quite easy to change your black key body. Plenty of new blanks on Ebay and it should be a TOY41 blank that you are looking for.  Get the blank cut to your existing key at a local locksmith (some of the chains won't cut other peoples keys).

The key number is Toyota's code for your key.  If you have it you can also get a black body from the same bay of fleas which is actually cut to the code.  The advantage here is that you are getting a key cut to the original pattern rather than a copy of your worn key.  I managed to get the code for mine from the local Toyota dealer, they wanted £20 for it but when I "apologised for wasting their time" it magically found itself on the back of a business card.  Cracking service!!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

normanh

Be very careful there are TOY41's around thant simply dont the locks as the key slots in the blade  are far too small. I know this for a fact as I bought 2 and just managed to bodge a fit with the existing key blade to a body.

Norman

househead

Awesome thanks for the heads up and advice!

I'll go the bay of fleas method I thinks!
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Tags: