Shifter assembly - where does this come from?

Started by househead, July 24, 2019, 10:40

househead

Yesterday I installed a cheapo short shifter. The install was a bit of a pig but I managed it somehow.

In one of those "put it back together and it works but have bits left over" moments, I ended up with a piece which I've no idea where it's from. Just a simple washer type piece of wire. It was found in the floor of the shifter cage when putting it all back together. I've no idea if it came off as part of what I was doing or it was just hanging around in there.

Shifter works fine albeit it quite an effort to shift (will see if I get used to this). The bounce back to neutral isn't very reliable.

Any ideas?

Photo - https://ibb.co/1bT38F2
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Carolyn

'Quite an effort to shift' kind of defeats the object, doesn't it?  It will drive you nuts.

A good short shift should be as smooth as silk.

It's a shame the the genuine TRD is no longer available.

I'd be tempted to go back to stock, myself. 

Post a pic of the left-over bit?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

It does ... I hadn't expected it to be so "tight" tbh. I'm going to give it a few days and let the grease permeate and see if I get used to it, but yea I am thinking about returning to stock unless/until I can source a TRD. I also wonder if I've roughed up the shifter rod bushings moving them from the old to the new. If I have then I guess that can't have helped!

There's a link to a photo in the original post (you scan-reader, you  :)) )

Carolyn

Well it didn't say 'link'.  (never underestimate my stupidity!!)

I've had a good close look at the standard shifter in my blue car.  Cannot for the life of me see where that bit could have come from.

Looks like a cheapo key-ring type thing that new keys often come on?

househead

Quote from: Carolyn on July 24, 2019, 11:36Looks like a cheapo key-ring type thing that new keys often come on?

Yea, it did cross my mind that it could be completely unrelated to the car itself and just found itself down there. Good to know that's it's nothing obvious ... thank you for checking for me!

Carolyn

Just a thought.  When I got my car (complete with TRD shifter), the shifting was quite stiff.  I sprayed the linkages on the outside of the gearbox with a good WD-type lube, while working the parts back and forth by hand.  As you now have less leverage, any stiffness will be magnified.

Made a MASSIVE difference.  Worth a try? 

househead

Yea, 100% worth a try, I shall do that!

While we're on it ... The spring on the shifter for the drivers-side cable ... I was a little unsure how this went back together and possibly I have it incorrect.

@Carolyn if you have a shifter out of car, could you take a photo of it from the right-hand/drivers side? There's a little spring on the right-hand-side cable arm thingy. I want to make sure I've replaced it correctly (there are two ways I could see that realistically it could have gone back on).

Thanks for all your help ... absolute star!

Carolyn

househead

Big help, thanks!

I've put it back together correctly then. I did see on some youtube videos some owners having not put that spring back with a leg either side of the arm (as in with both legs of the spring on the same side of the arm).

Thanks Carolyn!

Beachbum957

Even the TRD shifter is stiffer than stock.  It is simply a matter of leverage.  Less travel = more effort.

Making sure the linkage at the trans is nice and free helps, but adding spherical bearings to the shift cable ends also helps a bit.  Bushings such as Speedsource reduce freeplay, but don't do much for shift effort

Link

Carolyn

I must say I find my TRD very silky.  But you do have to stay on top of the lube.

househead

Quote from: Beachbum957 on July 24, 2019, 13:14Even the TRD shifter is stiffer than stock.  It is simply a matter of leverage.  Less travel = more effort.

Making sure the linkage at the trans is nice and free helps, but adding spherical bearings to the shift cable ends also helps a bit.  Bushings such as Speedsource reduce freeplay, but don't do much for shift effort

Link

Where would I search for the spherical bearings (part number GEBK8S)? Is this a toyota thing, an aftermarket car-specific part, or a generic thing?

I've seen and heard of the spherical bushings and they do seem a good shout vs speedsource brass ones. Would def like to try those

househead

Quote from: househead on July 24, 2019, 13:40
Quote from: Beachbum957 on July 24, 2019, 13:14Even the TRD shifter is stiffer than stock.  It is simply a matter of leverage.  Less travel = more effort.

Link

Where would I search for the spherical bearings (part number GEBK8S)? Is this a toyota thing, an aftermarket car-specific part, or a generic thing?

I've seen and heard of the spherical bushings and they do seem a good shout vs speedsource brass ones. Would def like to try those

Answering my own question - ebay got this.

moredun

Use a weigthed gearknob to overcome the reduction in leaverage  ;D
Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

househead

Quote from: moredun on July 24, 2019, 14:26Use a weigthed gearknob to overcome the reduction in leaverage  ;D

My knob is pretty heavy (ooo-er)!

It's a pool-ball shaped all-alu one weighing 150g...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SATIN-6-speed-RED-gear-shift-knob-TOYOTA-MR2-mk3-Celica-Gen7-ZZW30-ZZT230-99-06/181048515734?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

It's rather hot on days such as these though ... another reason for a quick shifter  :))

H1GRM

Quote from: Carolyn on July 24, 2019, 13:35I must say I find my TRD very silky.  But you do have to stay on top of the lube.

As Carolyn was kind enough to let me drive her "S" with said TRD SS I can vouch for how smooth it was and it didn't feel any heavy than my standard set up.  :)
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66294.0<br /><br />TTE Turbo 6R4 Forest Green - Y55 GRM <br />Jeep Wrangler - H1 GRM

Topdownman

That piece looks like the one that holds the top of gaiter to the plastic piece that sits on the gearlever.

If you take the gaiter off and turn it inside out you should see it.

Not sure if they provide a spare in case you damage the original if you try to reposition things for the shorter shaft?

PS My ebay short shifter was shift on my 6 speed. It was a bit better when I went to 5 speed.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

moredun

Quote from: househead on July 24, 2019, 14:40
Quote from: moredun on July 24, 2019, 14:26Use a weigthed gearknob to overcome the reduction in leaverage  ;D

My knob is pretty heavy (ooo-er)!

It's a pool-ball shaped all-alu one weighing 150g...

I have a Mishimoto Silver MMSK-SL Weighted Shift Knob, it comes in at 360 grams   ;-)  I'm sure it had Petrus stamped on it somewhere ...
Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

househead

Quote from: Topdownman on July 24, 2019, 15:50That piece looks like the one that holds the top of gaiter to the plastic piece that sits on the gearlever.

Not sure if they provide a spare in case you damage the original if you try to reposition things for the shorter shaft?

PS My ebay short shifter was shift on my 6 speed. It was a bit better when I went to 5 speed.

That would make sense... my gaiter isn't exactly secured, it's kinda hacked in. My original shifter was also missing the plastic bit to hold the gaiter holder thingy up.

Kit didn't come with a spare but I'll try and refit this soon.

I wd'd Up the bits in the engine bay and took it for a drive. It has improved it a little. Did manage to crunch one downshift to 4th during an overtake though. Ouch.

Gonna give it a few more days/runs and see how I get on. Also ordered a replacement shifter assembly from dean@rutland firstly in case I screw things up and secondly in case I want to diy a short shift. Will update here! Thanks for advice all. I'll probably get myself a heavier knob too!

Carolyn

Quote from: househead on July 24, 2019, 17:14
Quote from: Topdownman on July 24, 2019, 15:50That piece looks like the one that holds the top of gaiter to the plastic piece that sits on the gearlever.

Did you speak with Dean?  Or message him?  I've been struggling to get in touch with him.

That would make sense... my gaiter isn't exactly secured, it's kinda hacked in. My original shifter was also missing the plastic bit to hold the gaiter holder thingy up.

Kit didn't come with a spare but I'll try and refit this soon.

I wd'd Up the bits in the engine bay and took it for a drive. It has improved it a little. Did manage to crunch one downshift to 4th during an overtake though. Ouch.

Gonna give it a few more days/runs and see how I get on. Also ordered a replacement shifter assembly from dean@rutland firstly in case I screw things up and secondly in case I want to diy a short shift. Will update here! Thanks for advice all. I'll probably get myself a heavier knob too!

househead

@Carolyn I emailed him and we exchanged a few mails and he rang me for payment this aft

Tags: