Seized handbrake cable?

Started by HFB, July 21, 2019, 18:38

HFB

How can I confirm this is the issue?

Anything I can to to release what looks to be a seized handbrake cable?

Just replaced all 4 disks and pads and think I did the Handbrake Dance correctly (slackened off the adjuster at the handbrake, made sure both rear pistons were fully would back then a 1/4 turn back, pressed the foot pedal 15-20 times until stiff and then adjusted up the slack at the handbrake with the adjuster).

The drivers side cable (offside) doesn't seem to move when pulling on the handbrake.
Both levers are working on the calipers themselves and moving pretty freely.

The nearside brake is gripping with the handbrake (5 notches is full on), but the offside isn't at all.

Is there a way to free up/lube the cables or is that a replacement jobbie?

Thanks
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Carolyn

Did you take the centre console off the car?  If it's off, you can see if the cross-bar that attached to the cables is pulling square or is tilted to one side.

If it's tilted then only one cable is working.

I have, on two occasions, succeeded in un-seizing a stuck cable.  But more often, I've failed.

To try un-sticking the thing, disconnect the cable at both ends.  Holding the cable end up, dribble WD40 (or similar) into the casing, while pulling and pushing on the cable core.  You can do this from both ends,  If it starts to move, keep up the operation until it moves freely.  Then dribble light machine oil (like 3 in 1 oil) into the casing until it comes out the other end.  You might then have a result.

Unless, that is, the cable has stretched to the point that the inner is now too long to give an even pull.

If it's stretched, or won't come un-stuck, it's time for a new cable.  Might as well do them as a pair at this point.

The tank has to be dropped a few inches to get at the cable mounts. but it's not really that hard to do.

The cables are slightly different lengths, left and right, so get a proper pair of them.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

HFB

Thanks Carolyn

Yes, I removed the centre consul and the T bar was even when in a "relaxed" mode. When I pull the handbrake only the nearside cable moves, tilting the T bar on that side.

Will have a go at lubing the cable as you describe and see if that works (sounds a bit messy :) ).

Thanks
2000 Roadster
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

HFB

Lubing didn't work!

Trickled 3 in 1 oil down the cable until it came out at the caliper end.

Agitated and tugged at the cables but no give at all.

Re adjusted handbrake and at least Nearside cable giving more grip so no longer rolling with handbrake still on.

Looks like new cables are on my list of things to buy/do.
2000 Roadster

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: HFB on July 29, 2019, 21:29Lubing didn't work!

Trickled 3 in 1 oil down the cable until it came out at the caliper end.

Agitated and tugged at the cables but no give at all.

Re adjusted handbrake and at least Nearside cable giving more grip so no longer rolling with handbrake still on.

Looks like new cables are on my list of things to buy/do.

Unlucky Mel. Are the rubber bellows intact?

ptennisnet

The cables are different lengths for pfl and FL.  I put a FL cable on to my pfl from eurocarparts and I think it contributed to its failure a year or two later.  The extra length allowed it to flex.  I've now fitted a blueprint pfl cable and am hoping for the best. 

Carolyn

Quote from: ptennisnet on July 31, 2019, 17:51The cables are different lengths for pfl and FL.  I put a FL cable on to my pfl from eurocarparts and I think it contributed to its failure a year or two later.  The extra length allowed it to flex.  I've now fitted a blueprint pfl cable and am hoping for the best. 
they are different lengths for N/s and O/s
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Bossworld

Quote from: Carolyn on July 31, 2019, 18:05
Quote from: ptennisnet on July 31, 2019, 17:51The cables are different lengths for pfl and FL.  I put a FL cable on to my pfl from eurocarparts and I think it contributed to its failure a year or two later.  The extra length allowed it to flex.  I've now fitted a blueprint pfl cable and am hoping for the best. 
they are different lengths for N/s and O/s

Can be both depending on manufacturer (different PFL/FL and o/s n/s). As I found to my misfortune, not all third party cables are alike

Tags: