Door handle trim loose?

Started by MR2Adam, July 15, 2019, 21:14

MR2Adam

My door handle has come away and is moving slightly when opening the door.

Does it just need tightening or has the thread insert come out?

Mikeymead

To be honest it could be either, could also be cracked, only way of knowing is to take it out!
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

MR2Adam

Quote from: Mikeymead on July 15, 2019, 21:38To be honest it could be either, could also be cracked, only way of knowing is to take it out!
Don't think it would be cracked, just feels like something has come loose. It's not wriggling about, still quite solid.

Mikeymead

Quote from: MR2Adam on July 15, 2019, 22:08
Quote from: Mikeymead on July 15, 2019, 21:38To be honest it could be either, could also be cracked, only way of knowing is to take it out!
Don't think it would be cracked, just feels like something has come loose. It's not wriggling about, still quite solid.

I only say this as one of mine was cracked around one of the retaing thread ferrules.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Enjay

I swapped my door handles over a year or so back (simply for appearances - change of colour).  Both of my old ones had cracks around the ferrules (one got much worse as I loosened the bolt) and the new ones also had minor cracks.  I reinforced the plastic with some epoxy adhesive before fitting and also used a bit of flexible (i.e. removable) adhesive between the handles and the door (difficult to apply enough without it being visible) to help hold the handles in place just in case the cracked plastic got worse.  I'm also now very careful when opening my doors.  I only use the handle to pop the lock, then pull the door from the metal edge, not the handle.

i.e. out of 4 door handles that I inspected closely, all 4 had some cracking of the plastic around the ferrules.  IMO it's quite likely this is the problem.  Of course, a loose bolt is also possible (and would be better overall).  Be careful when tightening though because, as I said, cracks are likely and you don't want to make things worse.

Tags: