Gearbox trouble

Started by jonbill, June 27, 2019, 11:04

jonbill

Hi all, this week I've developed a problem with my gearbox.
On Monday on my way to work up the m6, stopped at the services and when I started again I couldn't get it into 3 or 4 or 5.
I eventually got the hang of getting it into 3&4 by going into 4 first and using a bit more force. It took me until yesterday to figure out I can get it into 5 by putting it into reverse first!

I checked and reseated the cable mounts and connections on the gearbox and that seems fine.
Any ideas what the problem is? Could it be the linkage under the console?

Thanks for any input.

Carolyn

Sounds like a small problem with fore and aft movement to me.  Worn bushes could well make enough difference.  As you CAN get the gears, it must be in the external linkage.

A bit of wear under the console, a bit more at the other end??

Slightly stretched cables?  All the little increments...
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jonbill

Quote from: Carolyn on June 27, 2019, 11:25Sounds like a small problem with fore and aft movement to me.  Worn bushes could well make enough difference.  As you CAN get the gears, it must be in the external linkage.

Thanks - it would be nice if the problem is in the cables; I've got a chance of fixing that without taking it off the road. I won't get to have a dig around until Sunday so I'm hoping to get a head start on the things to check.
Do you know what's required to get the cables out? I could swap the bits over with my silver car if it's not too much work.

Carolyn

Quote from: jonbill on June 27, 2019, 11:57
Quote from: Carolyn on June 27, 2019, 11:25Sounds like a small problem with fore and aft movement to me.  Worn bushes could well make enough difference.  As you CAN get the gears, it must be in the external linkage.

Thanks - it would be nice if the problem is in the cables; I've got a chance of fixing that without taking it off the road. I won't get to have a dig around until Sunday so I'm hoping to get a head start on the things to check.
Do you know what's required to get the cables out? I could swap the bits over with my silver car if it's not too much work.

Not done it, but I'm sure you have to lower the tank somewhat.  You might get away with swapping front and rear bushes??

jonbill

It's fixed, hooray!
I took the centre console out, disconnected the right cable, waggled it and sucked my teeth. And then it worked so I out it back together.

That tooth sucking is very effective.

Carolyn

Quote from: jonbill on June 28, 2019, 21:38It's fixed, hooray!
I took the centre console out, disconnected the right cable, waggled it and sucked my teeth. And then it worked so I out it back together.

That tooth sucking is very effective.

Yep, tooth sucking is the way to go.  I think you might want to re-bush soon, though.

m1tch

Better than my gearbox trouble of 6th gear no longer staying in (all other gears still work) lol, original box on 178k miles though.

Tags: