Checklist for service at home for a semi-noobie.

Started by BahnStormer, June 16, 2019, 14:18

BahnStormer

Hi guys, sorry if there's a thread for this somewhere already, but I'm keen to start servicing my '2 myself as the local Toyota dealership have shown so many layers of incompetence that I don't want to let them anywhere near my favourite little go kart any more... what do I need?

It had a "main" service two years ago and just filters and oil last year... although the dealership did insist it was time to do replace the brake fluid, even though I'd watched somebody bleed and top it up with brand new 5.1... 4 days earlier.

So what do I need?

Consumables:
Oil filter - OEM? (which part number?)
Air filter - OEM? (which part number?)
Oil - Fuchs? (grade?)
Spark plugs - NGK? (which part number?)

Parts / tools?
Oil drip tray?
Oil filter removal tool?

I have a decent set of basic tools (torque wrench, ratchet spanners, breaker bar, grips, etc).. pretty sure I have a spark plug socket.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BahnStormer

Sorry @Carolyn and @JoeCool, shout box seems to have dissappeared for me on my PC, so only just seen your replies on my phone....

(in reply to my question about servicing)
QuoteCarolyn: I'll start at thread. Then it can be developed and made into a 'How To'.
JoeCool: Bahnstormer: yes, your list, but work out where you are with spark plugs too. They're very easy to do. I'll contribute to Carolyn's thread when home.
Carolyn: I've made a start. All input welcome!!

Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BahnStormer

Okay, found it now. @Carolyn - you absolute STAR!

Guys - all further contributions and questions probably need to go on this thread HERE (How To Section - Engine Service Guide)

Thanks again and see you on that one!!

BahnStormer

I can't add to the How-To's so replies and comments might need to go here....

e.g. this one!

So my shopping list looks like:

Oil filter: Bosch 0986452028 Oil Filter (£5.32)

Air Filter: Bosch 1987429137 Air-Filter Insert (£9.52)

Spark plugs: 4 x NGK BKR5EYA-11 (£19)

Oil pan: Sealey DRP07 10ltr Oil/Fluid Drain & Recycle Container (£20)

Strap wrench: Laser 2830 Filter Wrench - Metal Band (£8.73)

-------------------------
Then the oil choices:
Oil: Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W30 Fully Synthetic 5litres- (£30)

OR

Oil: Fuchs Titan 5W30 Synthetic (5l + 1l) (£49.95)

OR

Oil: Fuchs Titan GT1 5W30 (5 litres) (£30.95)

OR

Oil: Fuchs Titan Race Pro S - 5 litres (£48.95)

---------------------------

Please shout if any of this looks way off - I really just want the best for the car - enthusiastic road driving and the odd track day... I don't mind spending a little extra, but would like to make sure I'm not over-paying for any of this....

Carolyn

Quote from: BahnStormer on June 16, 2019, 15:35I can't add to the How-To's so replies and comments might need to go here....

e.g. this one!

So my shopping list looks like:

Oil filter: Bosch 0986452028 Oil Filter (£5.32)

Oil: Fuchs Titan 5W30 Synthetic (5l + 1l) (£49.95)

Air Filter: Bosch 1987429137 Air-Filter Insert (£9.52)

Spark plugs: 4 x NGK BKR5EYA-11 (£19)

Oil pan: Sealey DRP07 10ltr Oil/Fluid Drain & Recycle Container (£20)

Strap wrench: Laser 2830 Filter Wrench - Metal Band (£8.73)

Please shout if any of this looks way off - I really just want the best for the car - enthusiastic road driving and the odd track day... I don't mind spending a little extra, but would like to make sure I'm not over-paying for any of this....

My only comment is that ANY recognised brand of fully synth 5w30 will do fine, so you could save few quid on that item,.  I find Amazon stuff a tad higher in price than my usual sources, but (when you consider the convenience factor) it's not a bad way to go.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

BahnStormer

Quote from: Carolyn on June 16, 2019, 16:37My only comment is that ANY recognised brand of fully synth 5w30 will do fine, so you could save few quid on that item,.  I find Amazon stuff a tad higher in price than my usual sources, but (when you consider the convenience factor) it's not a bad way to go.

Thanks for the check - I'll dig around for some other 5W30 fully synth... guessing I only need 5l too (I think I've got a 1 litre emergency bottle in the shed that I've never touched!).

I agree with a lot of the Amazon stuff, except we've got Prime, so delivery prices usually make Amazon very competitive... and fast!

Ardent

Where are you shopping?
I paid less than £8 for a set of sparkies delivered.
Fuchs tutan supersyn is half the price. £25. You only need buy 4 litres.
3.7 is the amount to put back. Or a bit less for a start. Then monitor and top up as required.
Still top stuff. These are not high performance engines.

BahnStormer

Quote from: Ardent on June 16, 2019, 17:15These are not high performance engines.
Not high performance, but they're high revving, certainly mine is!

Quote from: Ardent on June 16, 2019, 17:15Where are you shopping?
I paid less than £8 for a set of sparkies delivered.
My bad. Spark plugs were £8.64, delivered tomorrow.

Oil is available a lot more cheaply, certainly around £30 is possible inc next day delivery.

Joesson

Mobil Super 3000X1 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5W30 5L
Available from Wilko at £30 for 5 L collected but an extra  £4 for delivery.

It was previously £26 and the extra benefit fir me is that it also suits my daily.

mdw

Try CarParts4less.co.uk.  I think its part of europarts but a limited range.   Couple of days ago I got 1 gal of triple qx  fully synth oil, 1 tin holts erg cleaner, 2x  bosch oil filters and 4 ngk spark plugs delivered next day for £35.22 inc.
Sable 53
Spectra Blue 03

potge

Check that you have a 16mm spark plug socket. It is not exactly the most common size....
For oil, I am a fan of Mobil1 5w30 ESP and Castrol 5w30 edge, but I agree that most fully synthetic ones will do the job.
Some brake cleaner (I would go for 5liter ones with a spray bottle, as in the long run they pay off), for example Wurth set
and carb cleaner spray are always useful.

james_ly

A service they should also be checking for suspension play, brake thickness, brake fluid. Personally I would have the wheels off and make sure the caliper bleed nipples aren't seized even if you don't change the fluid.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

Beachbum957

I would suggest staying with OEM filters if you can get them easily.  They are known quality and often about the same price as aftermarket

Oil Filter: 90915-YZZF2 
Air Filter: 17801-1602-083

Definitely go with a synthetic oil.  Changing brake fluid is a good idea and often overlooked.  Depending on age, many owners change the trans oil as well with a synthetic GL-4 oil like Redline MT90

ManInDandism

To add my 2p -  funnel with a flexible pipe makes filling engine with oil a tad easier than using a bog standard one (since brace is in the way). Peeps may already own one for topping up purposes, but just to make the guide comprehensive. 

Nice cheap one here
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Tomo70

Always a good idea to check auxiliary belt. Roughly £18 should be changed 20k intervals
Check your Toyota dealer service kits ( plugs, oil filter, drain plug seal , air filter usually £40 including semi synthetic oil as advertised by Toyota
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

footslog

Slightly off-topic, but when draining the engine oil, to avoid the "oil-up-the-arm" scenario I loosen the sump plug until it's almost falling out then twist one end of a length of thin garden wire round it just under the head and tie the other end to anything handy nearby. Then undo the plug and quickly take your hand away. It you got it right, the plug dangles by the wire and your arm stays clean(ish). 

I worked this out from doing oil changes on an old V8 RR.  Oil gushed out of the sump like a sideways fountain and there was no space to move your hand away quickly, and the sump plug fell in the oil pan - actually a washing up bowl (which by the way also works really well. Just don't do the washing up in it afterwards).

Tags: