Question?

Started by Chilli Girl, June 13, 2019, 15:50

Chilli Girl

I've never noticed it before although I think Chilli suffered from it once!  The rear left alloy seems to have attracted quite abit of brake dust but the other wheels seem relatively clean.  Not noticed any pulling or problems driving?
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

StuC

Could be the start of a 'less efficient' caliper.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Chilli Girl

Hmmm Stu, I was wondering that perhaps.  I think it's an original anyway.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

gazza1286

It's likely to be due to partially seized sliders. When this occurs the inner pad will wear down much more quickly than the outer - as this pad remains in permanent contact with the disc. You may or may not notice a slight diference in hub temperatures after even a sort drive. Don't leave it too long before getting it checked out.

Chilli Girl

Ok thanks Gazza, I'll get it looked at at the weekend.   :)

StuC

Just to follow on from @gazza1286 you can always feel the temperature of the wheel or caliper (if it's not super hot) after you pull up. Compare it to the one in the other side. If it's hotter, it's an indication that something may not be releasing as it should.

Chilli Girl

Update on Foxy.  Yep, it's a sticky calliper, I did what you said Stu and it was very hot compared to the other 3,  I shall also need new pads as Gazza you were quite correct, it has indeed worn down the pad.  Any idea on costs for this please?  I've checked Foxy's history and it appears to be original calliper on driver's rear.

Carolyn

Odds are a proper lube job on the caliper sliders, a general clean up, and new pads (on both sides) will suffice.

Others can advise on garage charges.  Got someone you trust?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

StuC

Could it wait until the Sywell meet?! ;) ;)

Chilli Girl

Sadly not Stu as will need to head back to Mum in Somerset before then which is another 120+ miles.  Yes, I could take the Mazda but after the last 3 miserable weeks, Foxy puts a smile on my face again!   ;)

Chilli Girl

Quote from: Carolyn on June 15, 2019, 17:25Odds are a proper lube job on the caliper sliders, a general clean up, and new pads (on both sides) will suffice.

Hi C, yes I know a guy down at the local tyre place, he's brilliant and seems to have been genuine towards me over the years and he's careful with Foxy which I like - even puts a towel on the ground for the alloy to be put on! Little things like this means a lot in my eyes! 

Carolyn

Quote from: Chilli Girl on June 15, 2019, 17:54
Quote from: Carolyn on June 15, 2019, 17:25Odds are a proper lube job on the caliper sliders, a general clean up, and new pads (on both sides) will suffice.

Hi C, yes I know a guy down at the local tyre place, he's brilliant and seems to have been genuine towards me over the years and he's careful with Foxy which I like - even puts a towel on the ground for the alloy to be put on! Little things like this means a lot in my eyes! 

You're in good hands then.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: