Ride hight

Started by Petrus, May 18, 2019, 20:02

Petrus

How low/high do you go?
Would you please measure the gap between wheel arch and tire?

With 6.5 cm. rear and 7.5 front, mine is a bit high and I want to know hów high. In fingers; 3 rear, 4 front.

As to the stock specifications found for 2000-2002:

Front measuring point
Measure the distance from the ground to the center of the front side lower suspension arm mounting bolt. (inner pivot)

Rear measuring point
Measure the distance from the ground to the center of the front side strut rod mounting bolt. (frame mount of trailing arm)

Front 204 mm (8.03 in.)
Rear 270 mm (10.63 in.)

Will crawl in the dust tomorrow if I can figure out what is meant: Am Dutch/Spanish speaking; English is third language only  :-[

Dougster7

All depends on what you want from it, I could go a good bit lower but practicality doesn't always agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2ZZ by Rogue

Petrus

Been rolling in the dust half the afternoon measuring hight and figuring out the roll center incl. the effect of the increased ride hight.
Since the parking lot is not level I have no accurate measurement but it is 2 or more cms. higher.
For one this raise the center of mass by the same amount, increasing roll.
This also steepens the angle of the lower suspension strut = raises the roll center, increasing jacking, raising the center of mass WHILE CORNERING.
All in all; increased roll and increased bump steering.
So I nééd to lower the car back to the original specs or a bit lower.

Lowering springs would do way móre that (they are quite a bit stiffer than the OEM ones and the 80 kilo less will hardly affect their ride height, meaning 30mm lower than OEM) whereas the car is lighter, equalling markedly harsher ride. Although the resulting lowering of the center of mass is good, the lowering of the roll center is not. Is this enough of an issue to warrant fitting roll center adjusting ball joints??
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63297.0

Cutting down the OEM spings is usually not a good idea but in thís case it just might be. I could get the ride height back down to OEM spec and not mess with the geometry. As Carolyn helped me figure out, it also ever so slightly increases the spring rate, thus equally slightly decreases roll with OEM geometry.

The choices are:
- Fit lowering springs with stiffer spring rate under the lighter car and adjusting ball joints.
or
- Cut down the OEM spings to restore OEM ride height and geometry with an added bonus of a just that bit stiffer spring rate.

The first will give a markedly flatter ride at the cost of a harsher ride, less clearance and €€€
The second will restore OEM ride and clearance at minimal cost.

Will measure again tomorrow on level concrete slab and establish accurately what sort of an issue I am dealing with.

ERGO: Beejeezuss, what a mess of crappy side effect most mods add up to because of upsetting the OEM optimal compromise  (:< >:)

Petrus

Quote from: Petrus on May 18, 2019, 20:02
Will crawl in the dust tomorrow if I can figure out what is meant: Am Dutch/Spanish speaking; English is third language only  :-[

The measuring points made sense when under the car btw.

Tags: