Steering

Started by Tomo70, January 3, 2019, 20:51

Tomo70

Doing a bit of a steering refresh. I am struggling though with regards removing the steering rods from the steering rack.
Can anybody recommend or have a tool for accessing and removing the track rod.
The threads on the rods are poor and can not adjust the track rod ends anymore.

Cheers Tom
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

Bossworld

Quote from: Tomo70 on January  3, 2019, 20:51
Doing a bit of a steering refresh. I am struggling though with regards removing the steering rods from the steering rack.
Can anybody recommend or have a tool for accessing and removing the track rod.
The threads on the rods are poor and can not adjust the track rod ends anymore.

Cheers Tom

In exactly the same position myself. It looks like it would roughly be a 28mm spanner. Tried with an adjustable but it ain't moving.

There are inner tie rod tools on Amazon for £30, that slot over (I'm assuming you have to grind the track rod end off if you can't undo it).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonderman-Installer-Remover-Adjuster-Universal/dp/B00YCJ9L00/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1546549247&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=inner+tie+rod+removal+tool&dpPl=1&dpID=41TLM%2BKnt2L&ref=plSrch

Or there's one like a small exhaust clamp for about £12 to £20 depending on brand and style

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Performance-Tool-W83027-Inner-Tie/dp/B074NDR825/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1546549247&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=inner+tie+rod+removal+tool&dpPl=1&dpID=41UIh9XsigL&ref=plSrch

Was surprised to find there's no locking washer on these (wasn't one supplied with the new inner rod either).

Let me know if you find owt

Bossworld

Spent some time yesterday going over this again, looking at various tools.  In the end, took out the frunk plastics, storage box and wheel, dropped the boot and...

Adjustable spanner set to 28/29mm will happily do the trick, these really aren't torqued up very far. Going to buy some loctite and install the replacement.  £30 saved.

star wars ships empire strikes back

Tomo70

Quote from: Bossworld on January  4, 2019, 13:41
Spent some time yesterday going over this again, looking at various tools.  In the end, took out the frunk plastics, storage box and wheel, dropped the boot and...

Adjustable spanner set to 28/29mm will happily do the trick, these really aren't torqued up very far. Going to buy some loctite and install the replacement.  £30 saved.

I must admit. When i sat down and thought about this after i made the post and realised I just needed to move the steering wheel. Think i will sort out the power steering fluid first then sort the shafts.

Bossworld thanks for your help.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

Bossworld

Quote from: Tomo70 on January  4, 2019, 18:39
Quote from: Bossworld on January  4, 2019, 13:41

I must admit. When i sat down and thought about this after i made the post and realised I just needed to move the steering wheel. Think i will sort out the power steering fluid first then sort the shafts.

Bossworld thanks for your help.

I'm still a little surprised there's no lock washer but I think the service manual suggests around 50nn torque. Will take my useless nut splitter back tomorrow and buy the locktite, still need to angle grind several bolts around the wishbone before I can think about refitting.

For what it's worth I counted 20 turns on the driver's track rod end but I can't shift the passenger one. Will try and measure up before refitting

barchetta_ms

How did you torque the steering rods up when doing this? Looking at the workshop manual and they recommend a very expensive Toyota SST for this.

thanks

Bossworld

Quote from: barchetta_ms on June 21, 2020, 12:23How did you torque the steering rods up when doing this? Looking at the workshop manual and they recommend a very expensive Toyota SST for this.

thanks

Adjustable spanner as per picture above.  50nm isn't all that tight, all things considered.

Alternatively there are kits on ebay that fit over the ends, cost you about £30 for the set I think.

barchetta_ms

Tags: