Rear ABS sensors.

Started by Call the midlife!, December 29, 2018, 18:02

Call the midlife!

Is there a particular knack to removing the aforementioned items? I've taken the 10mm out but neither side wants to move, I'm assuming they're just rusted/seized in so I've given them a bit of magic juice and will try again tomorrow but don't want to badger them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

dan944

I believe they're a nightmare to remove. I think new hubs are easier. I will probably be corrected on this but it's more likely that they will snap than come out.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Carolyn

Prepare to destroy them.  If you don't HAVE to remove them, don't even try!

Otherwise it's dig 'em  out in bits with a hammer and screwdriver.  Then a bit of rotary sanding of the hole to get it to take the new one.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

Oh deep joy! Thanks both for the info, I reckon they're staying where they are then! I'll look at dropping the driveshafts out and leaving the hubs in place possibly.

Call the midlife!

Or looking at the diagrams disconnect the sensor and drop the engine,box and shafts as one as planned?

jonbill

Yes you can disconnect the sensor from the loom just inside the engine bay by the lights.

As a reference, I changed the sensor in the left rear of my silver car late 2016 and then swapped the hub a couple of months ago. I thought I'd save the sensor since it was new. I still had to soak it in oil for a week from the inside of the hub and in the end I had to gently drive it out from the inside. No way was it pulling out after only 18m in use.

Carolyn

Quote from: Call the midlife! on December 29, 2018, 18:13
Or looking at the diagrams disconnect the sensor and drop the engine,box and shafts as one as planned?

You can remove the shafts from the box. 
Undo the bottom of the struts from the hubs.  Undo the trailing arms from the hubs. Undo the little cable bracket ( for the ABS wire) from the sub-frame The hubs can now swing away from the engine. 
Off-side is dead easy, undo the retaining brackets on the carrier bearing, then the bearing mount from the engine and leave the shaft. 
The nearside has to be knocked out of the gearbox with a big drift and big hammer (it's held in with a circlip inside and it is designed to be knocked apart) , or you can un-band the gaiter at the inner CV joints and pull the joint out of the case (wrap a plastic bag round it) and leave the shaft behind.  You'll have to put a new band on later.

I'm a big believer in undoing as little as possible.

I tie the shafts to the subframe with bungees to keep them out of the way.

Call the midlife!

Yeah, I'll give it a coat of looking at tomorrow, they've got to come out anyway for the clutch and flywheel etc but was hoping to get it all out in one to make it a bit easier.
But for now a well earned pint is calling, probably not the best idea before tomorrow's mission but there's always Monday! Thanks as always.[emoji1303]

Carolyn

Actually, it's the easiest method -honest!!

Having done quite a few now,  I do think this is method is as easy as it gets.  You don't have to remove the driveshafts from the hubs and you don't disturb the main suspension arms so you don't even mess with the tracking.

I know I have a car lift, but I did the last one single-handed this way and it wasn't bad at all.  If you can't get the car high enough to drag the engine clear,, then you can drop the sub-frame with the hubs and shafts attached (disconnect the ABS wires as Jonbill suggests).

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on December 29, 2018, 18:49
Actually, it's the easiest method -honest!!

Having done quite a few now,  I do think this is method is as easy as it gets.  You don't have to remove the driveshafts from the hubs and you don't disturb the main suspension arms so you don't even mess with the tracking.

I know I have a car lift, but I did the last one single-handed this way and it wasn't bad at all.  If you can't get the car high enough to drag the engine clear,, then you can drop the sub-frame with the hubs and shafts attached (disconnect the ABS wires as Jonbill suggests).
I've got new, adjustable arms to fit and taking the coilovers out for a clean as well so the geo will be toast regardless. Take on board all the sound advice though.

Carolyn

Well, that's a different kettle of fish!

Might as well dismantle the lot.  Best to drain the gear box before you get that smelly stuff all over the floor. 'cos it'll come out when you remove the drivers' side shaft from the box.

It's a horror to clean up.  (Not that I would know ;D).

jonbill

It's how I just did mine. Take the subframe and hubs complete off and to the side, lower the engine and box to the floor and slide them out.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on December 29, 2018, 19:08
Well, that's a different kettle of fish!

Might as well dismantle the lot.  Best to drain the gear box before you get that smelly stuff all over the floor. 'cos it'll come out when you remove the drivers' side shaft from the box.

It's a horror to clean up.  (Not that I would know ;D).
Drained that last night [emoji38] it's the coolant drains I sheared that'll be a challenge to replace.
Beers here!

Ardent

my contribution here, is simpy to applaud the camaradarier and shared knowledge. even if it is spelt incorrectly.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Ardent on December 29, 2018, 22:31
my contribution here, is simpy to applaud the camaradarier and shared knowledge. even if it is spelt incorrectly.
Grape juice?? It's the other favourite part of this club for me, I love the social side of it but also the way you can ask a possibly seldom asked question and get a sensible, useful, straightforward answer.
Not the usual, Facebook type, "what the fluff do you want to do that for?"

Ardent

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

For clariity. Grape juice a plenty. Voigner and Suav Blanc.

Quote CTM
It's the other favourite part of this club for me, I love the social side of it but also the way you can ask a possibly seldom asked question and get a sensible, useful, straightforward answer.

That's what I mean.  :notworthy: (just not so well articulated)
I probably don't realise how lucky I was, stumbling upon here first vs some of the other so called MR2 sites.

8thumpers

Quote from: Call the midlife! on December 29, 2018, 22:39
Quote from: Ardent on December 29, 2018, 22:31
Grape juice?? It's the other favourite part of this club for me, I love the social side of it but also the way you can ask a possibly seldom asked question and get a sensible, useful, straightforward answer.

What do you want to do that for???

mat

I've recently done an engine rebuild and redid the whole back end of the car too.  I drifted the abs sensors out with a 10mm punch after riving at them with mole grips and screwdrivers failed.  You can only drift them out once the hubs are off and the driveshafts are out.  Surprisingly the sensors worked after I refitted them. 

Tags: