BC Racing BR Series Coilovers advice - how low can ride height go?

Started by swiftyds, October 15, 2018, 18:44

BahnStormer

Quote from: swiftyds on October 16, 2018, 22:16
Cheers BahnStormer - the measurements are spot on

Proper facepal momet: I just had the front wheels off to sort out a wheel balance issue.... and forgot to measure how much height adjustability is still on the fronts - I'm guessing it is similar to the rears.

I also got mine from KamRacing and just torqued up at the standard height as a starting point... and it's been pretty much spot on for my usage: I need to be careful on speedbumps, but it's still very usable, even on ratty Surrey B roads (officially the worst in the country)...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

swiftyds

No problem.

On adjust drop links - I've read pros and cons for these.

Do you have these on yours BahnStormer or std ones? I'm going to replace them anyway plus the hub to strut bolts.

BahnStormer

Quote from: swiftyds on October 18, 2018, 17:38
No problem.

On adjust drop links - I've read pros and cons for these.

Do you have these on yours BahnStormer or std ones? I'm going to replace them anyway plus the hub to strut bolts.

Very flattered that you're using my experience as a template, but I was just replacing tired stock suspension with coilovers.

My use-case is just to have a stock(ish) car that is good as a fast-road daily driver and will be okay with the odd trackday, so I just did a straight replacement for the OEM droplinks - I'm only running a fairly modest drop (~30mm?) and stock sway bars, the only adjustability that I have in addition to the standard BC Racing coilovers (i.e. OEM adjustability + damping + front camber adjustment, but NOT rear) is a set of rear camber bolts (Eibach EZcams).

That combo gave me all I needed: I'm on Yoko tyres and that combined with the setup above and some slightly funky suspension geometry from WheelsInMotion(Chesham), the limits are reasonably high - plenty for my needs and the car behaves very nicely on/over the limit: the front tucks into corners like a legend, there's seldom any understeer at all and the rear can be brought into play on the throttle remarkably well for a stock 1ZZ... overall very neutrally balanced, with a slight bias towards oversteer unless you're being really silly... even bouncing around on rough country lanes it is very well behaved - no steering vagueries or alarms, so I've never felt any need to meddle any further.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

swiftyds

Thanks for taking the time to measure stuff and respond to my post here.

I ordered a set of BC BR coilovers with 4/6 kg springs and to my surprise they arrived in the post today!

I just need to sort out a set of OEM drop links and new hub/strut bolts and nuts and I will be getting the sockets, spanner's and breaker bars out! Lots of soaking with penetrating release oil first of course

james_ly

I had to borrow an impact gun to get the strut bolts off. Possibly because I was using the wrong tools, I had a 19mm 3/4" socket, and my breaker bar snapped the 1/2 to 3/4" adapter. So tight!
MR2 gone<br />GT86

swiftyds

Ooh - I will make sure I use a 1/2 inch socket on my breaker bar as was also going to use an adapter.

I've put lots of penetrating oil on the bolts - not going to get round to doing the swap for a couple of weeks so will see if that helps.

Cheers

Tags: