Possible sticking caliper???

Started by deviantmr-s, September 16, 2018, 11:27

deviantmr-s

My rear calipers were replaced by a Kwik-fit earlier this year. The pads are binding slightly in one caliper if the handbrake is adjusted to work.  I have access to a rewind tool. I've been looking for a 'how-to' on how to set the caliper pistons, but struggling. Any pointers please?
I am an artist - the track is my canvas, my car is my brush - 2003 2zz Island Green Supercharged

Mr X

Make sure they're setup correctly. Sounds like they're not and you're just wacking the cable adjuster to max.

Slacken the cables right off (unlock the top 10mm nut on the cable and the following bolt attached the to cable on the handbrake under the centre part of the centre console). Pump the brake pedal 10 times, take the slack off the handbrake cable and pull the handbrake 10 times... Do the process again for good measure. Then tighten so you get 5 clicks, take the handbrake off and make sure you can push the car easily. Put it back on and make sure you can't.
This resets the handbrake adjuster.

If this doesn't work, look at the 2 cables where they're attached to the single cable by the handbrake leaver, they should be even or slightly off. If there's a massive difference, one of them has stretched. If you pull up the leaver and one doesn't move, it's seized.
If not, go for a drive and then after 10 min or so touch the back wheels. If one is hotter than the other, that caliper is seized.
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Topdownman

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

deviantmr-s

Quote from: Mr X on September 16, 2018, 11:33
Make sure they're setup correctly. Sounds like they're not and you're just wacking the cable adjuster to max.

Slacken the cables right off (unlock the top 10mm nut on the cable and the following bolt attached the to cable on the handbrake under the centre part of the centre console). Pump the brake pedal 10 times, take the slack off the handbrake cable and pull the handbrake 10 times... Do the process again for good measure. Then tighten so you get 5 clicks, take the handbrake off and make sure you can push the car easily. Put it back on and make sure you can't.
This resets the handbrake adjuster.

Already tried this with no change.

Will look at the two cables, thanks.
I am an artist - the track is my canvas, my car is my brush - 2003 2zz Island Green Supercharged

deviantmr-s

deviantmr-s

Still have the issue, not the handbrake, cables or calipers, I initially thought it was the back, but they are all good.

Narrowed down to the drivers front squeaking when turning, loudest turning left. Having difficulty locating the actual cause.

Anything else I could possibly check?

Thanks.

delhusband

Quote from: deviantmr-s on October 18, 2018, 20:36
Still have the issue, not the handbrake, cables or calipers, I initially thought it was the back, but they are all good.

Narrowed down to the drivers front squeaking when turning, loudest turning left. Having difficulty locating the actual cause.

Thanks.
Ah, I knew I'd seen this thread but had forgotten - This sounds very similar to my symptoms right now. See here:https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66284.0Anything on there not covered on here? I'm going to have a look at mine this weekend. If I'm not my usual lazy self that is...
Hate pointy animals

deviantmr-s

Quote from: delhusband on October 18, 2018, 23:20
Quote from: deviantmr-s on October 18, 2018, 20:36

Thanks.
Ah, I knew I'd seen this thread but had forgotten - This sounds very similar to my symptoms right now. See here:https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=66284.0Anything on there not covered on here? I'm going to have a look at mine this weekend. If I'm not my usual lazy self that is...

Thanks. Will be looking again, as the squeak is really annoying me now!  (:< >:)

Carolyn

Worth checking that the sliders are moving freely and that the pads aren't stuck in their spring-clip mounts.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

deviantmr-s

Forgot to post, as found out what the squeak was... it was the bearing, which only became audibly obvious in April, so hub/bearing changed... voila! No squeak... hooray.
:)

Tags: