Strange BHP reading

Started by michaelb, September 15, 2018, 19:12

michaelb

I'm in the process of just about to install a 2zz engine and we decided to run it on the dyno to see what she is putting out before we do the swap. The result confused us as I don't have any mods to my engine but it made 163bhp. Has anyone else ever encountered this? I thought the 1zz max output was 138?!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Dyno calibration error.
No chance in hell it made that.
...neutiquam erro.

michaelb

That's what we thought, going to have a look at the data again as sometimes these things can happen. He did say it's a fantastically fit engine. I was going to sell it after the swap but might keep it now.

Treboeth

Quote from: shnazzle on September 15, 2018, 19:44
Dyno calibration error.
No chance in hell it made that.

What about

Painted calipers
Markiii pipe
Spoiler
Go faster stripes

Easy 40-50bhp there  ;D

michaelb

Lol, yeah the bodykit and red calipers must add at least 30bhp lol

shnazzle

If it's fantastically fit, I'd keep it for sure. Or sell it for good money. Chances are it's probably in a better shape than whatever 2zz you're putting in, unless you're rebuilding that first.

It doesn't take much of a calibration error for it to read 20hp over.
Some unscrupulous dyno operators who also tune will sometimes under-read on the pre run and sell you all the wonderful things they can do. Then set it right for the post-run, making the results seem epic.

This seems more like a genuine mistake
...neutiquam erro.

michaelb

Yeah this guy wasn't even planning on putting the car on the dyno with the 1zz in but I asked him to as I was curious!

michaelb

Lee at Se7en went over the 2zz engine I'm installing and he was impressed at how clean it was, so hopefully it's a good one! Plus Lee built and installed me uprated cams in the new 2zz

michaelb

And unfortunately my TTE exhaust, which I had hoped to be able to reuse is falling to bits as it's being removed. The guy is going to make me a custom exhaust now which will cost me an arm and leg

Tags: