Hass Stage II turbo is here!

Started by Slacey, February 22, 2005, 18:51

Anonymous

As both Aaron and Mark will testify to now, I no longer love my car.  s:( :( s:(

Despite putting enough miles on it this week to see if anything bad happens (which it didn't), the stupid air filter decided to come off again tonight, once again wedging itself against the driveshaft. Only difference this time was that not only was I in Lowestoft, but also the filter is now so badly fuc... ruined, that it's actually cut the gaiter that sits between the shaft and gearbox.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Cue panicky phonecalls to the two named above (thanks guys!), but at least they told me what I wanted to hear: That the car was still driveable, as long as I taped up (with clingfilm and bandage sticking tape!) the offending gaiter. Now all I have to do is get a replacement one, and hope that nothing was sucked into the turbo while the filter was off, and that nothing got into the shaft/gearbox while it had a bloody great hole there.

Fingers crossed time, methinks.

spit

Bad luck Dan. Love can be fickle.....this is probably just a minor disagreement along the road to happiness......(a.k.a. the A146  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: )

Hope you're fettled soon.

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

I don't mind so much that stuff has gone wrong since the install (indeed, it was one of the things I was looking forward to, although I mean the actual learning and fixing process rather than the problems themselves), it's just that they seem to happen at really bad times. First time it was when I just wanted to get to bed, and now it's when I'm nigh-on 100 miles from home!

I don't actually hate my car. I just think it hates me.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

and you keep asking why my tow hook is still in place  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

That reminds me, I need to ask Toyota why mine doesn't actually fit anymore... Another thing to add to the list.

aaronjb

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Turbo & gearbox will be fine Dan - those gaiters are there to stop years worth of crap building up around the knuckle joint - one drive with a rip in the gaiter won't do any harm.. If it had, you'd hear the grinding noises already as it'd need a stone or something to have lept in there.

As for running without a filter - well you're almost certainly fine there too - honestly, just think how many of the big drag cars have air filters  s;) ;) s;)  And uh.. I may have driven my car (OK, not this one - the Nissan) with no filter for, erm.. a while  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  with no ill effects.

You'll be fine  s;) ;) s;)  Just get MrT to replace that gaiter (best take some KY with you, I'm betting they'll want to charge the earth for a bit of rubber.. if you'll pardon the pun)..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"As for running without a filter - well you're almost certainly fine there too - honestly, just think how many of the big drag cars have air filters  s;) ;) s;)

I wouldn't do that  s:? :? s:?  Serious drag cars are totally different crowd and may rebuild the engine after few miles anyway.

Driving without the filter is more or less the same as getting the precat parts sucked into the cylinders. It will damage the engine. Especially with that kind of setup, which doesn't get clear air, but all the dust from the road under the car  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Thanks for the reassurance Aaron, I feel a bit better today.

I've been out this morning and taken a good look at the whole thing, as well getting a quote for some bits (more on that later). The air filter is well and truly ruined, so I def need to get hold of a new one: Does anyone know exactly which one it is that Hass supply with the kit? Also, I'm not entirely convinced it is the shifter mechanism pushing the filter off at all. The filter and pipe are tightly clamped in, and I can't pull them out with my hands like that, so there's almost no way the mechanism hitting it and moving it by 1-2mm is doing it by itself. I think there's more to it than that...

My theory is that the pipe itself just isn't long enough for the clamps to get a good grip on, and it's general vibration as well as the shifer hitting it that is doing the damage. Hence me driving to Engine Advantages in Witham this morning and seeing what they thought.

They say that they get an outside guy to make up all their custom pieces for them, and that he could knock up a longer piece of pipe for about £40, which I think is pretty reasonable and I'll be booking the car in soon for them to take some measurements and get one made up. Once I've got it on and I'm happy with it, I'll see about getting some more made up for my turbo'd brethren.

I also asked them while I was there about getting a bracket for the turbo made up, as well as a new hanger for the downpipe, and getting the exhaust welded up and the 2nd leg put on. They quoted me about 3-4 hours work at £42 p/h: Does that sound reasonable? I think it's a bit OTT myself, but it would save me the trip up to where Sean and Mark had theirs done...  s:? :? s:?

Your thoughts are most welcome, gentlemen. And ladies.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

My filter always tried to rub the CV "gaiter" as well. But the whole intake tract has now been converted to the SMT blow-thru style and the K&N is mounted directly to the compressor inlet bell. Like so,

Quote from: "Ekona"Does anyone know exactly which one it is that Hass supply with the kit?
Yes, the K&N cone style filter is K&N P/N "RU-3580"
 m http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/ ... od=RU-3580 m

Turbo Bracket made out of 3/16th mild steel with 5/16" bolt holes.
A single piece would be better buts its all the scrap I had at the moment.
Coated with 2000F paint.
From the top

From the bottom

Anonymous

Nice one Bill, thanks for that. Although those welds on that brace look a bit sketchy to me...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

[/Mefarri_mode]

Anonymous

Just an update, my new intake pipe will be ready (hopefully) next week sometime. I'll post pics when it's done, and let you know how I get on with it.

*EDIT*

Blimey, most shocking phonecall ever! Just had Hills (Mr T) on the phone regarding a price for fitting a new gaiter (which I popped in there for earlier, the car is going in Wednesday), and they're going to replace it under warranty!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Big kudos for that, seeing as it's my fault it got ripped. Another big gold star by their name, methinks.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Ekona"Blimey, most shocking phonecall ever! Just had Hills (Mr T) on the phone regarding a price for fitting a new gaiter (which I popped in there for earlier, the car is going in Wednesday), and they're going to replace it under warranty!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  What did you do to the service manager there Dan!?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

I think he's still trying to make it up to me for previous f*ck-ups which made me write that letter to Toyota complaining!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Still, he's officially in my good books, even if it's a bit sore to sit down now and I have a funny taste in my mouth...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

spit

Quote from: "Ekona"Still, he's officially in my good books, even if it's a bit sore to sit down now and I have a funny taste in my mouth...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
My mind has just boggled  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Good to hear you're shaking out the problems Dan. Result with Mr T. Nice one you!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

LeeUK

Posted twice  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Please see below  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

LeeUK

I don't often roll on the floor laughing but....     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Quote from: "Ekona"Still, he's officially in my good books, even if it's a bit sore to sit down now and I have a funny taste in my mouth...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

aaronjb

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I'm dead impressed they're doing the gaiter though - that's pretty spectacular.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"[/Mefarri_mode]
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  How did you get that on your computer? Was it easy to install? How much did it cost? Do you like it? How hard is it to get out of mefarri _mode? Have you ever been stuck in it? Do you know why? hHAHHAHA I sure dont?

How big are your pipes?

Anonymous

[Admin] Edited due to personal Attack [Admin]

This has been edited for teh 2nd time.

Please do not edit this again

aaronjb

Quote from: "wts"How big are your pipes?

Are we back to Dan giving the service manager sexual favours again?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

(Sorry.. sorry.. very far OT now, I know).

If you meant his exhaust - 3" I think, that's right, isn't it Dan?

Anonymous

Yup, spot-on Aaron.

Liz

Is that a male or female 3", there is a significant difference!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    

<<runs and hides and slaps herself around for going O/T>>>>
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"<<runs and hides and slaps herself around for going O/T>>>>

Bad Liz, Naughty Liz.. It's handcuffs for you lassy!

Ahem.. I mean..   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Soon to be 6" for Dan, too, when he gets his other 'leg' welded on..  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "mefarri"[Admin] Edited due to personal Attack [Admin]

This has been edited for the 2nd time.

Please do not edit this again

Making friends and influencing people around the world....

markiii

well your half right.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: