Hass Stage II turbo is here!

Started by Slacey, February 22, 2005, 18:51

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Ekona"There shouldn't be as I'm using Sean's maps he got from Thor. At least, I think I am: without the Profec, there's no real way of knowing.

profec fitting time then me thinks  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

there werent any internal changes in the engine between pre and post facelift were there, i couldn't think of any, but even a small change would make the map incorrect at varying points
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

The only one I can think of is the changing of the seals to prevent oil seeping past, but that shouldn't make the blindest bit of difference.

Ah well, maybe I'll just wait until the Profec is in until I drive it again. Should be this week sometime, if everything goes to plan.

kanujunkie

nah a seal wont do bugger all, i was thinking of port changes or cam changes

Actually i have just thought of a difference, but cant see how it would matter, the gearbox, yours being a 6 and Seans a 5. Does it affect the loading on the block????
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

nope and Sean has intermittently had the same issue
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

so it must be the map, only common feature
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Or it could be that the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler was barely in!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Gave it a tug and it just popped out of the clamp, so I spent the next 10 mins doing it back up which in turn popped the other end (turbo) out and needed some brute force to get it back in. The upside to all this is... I AM NOW BOOSTING LIKE A MADMAN.  s:D :D s:D

I now know why I had sluggish performance, and it didn't really seem that much quicker. Now it's a full-blown nutter of a car, although the BOV sounds like a dog barking (is it usual for it to release air in two little barks?), but that's an easy problem to fix.

DAN = HAPPY BUNNY  s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D

Slacey

Yeah, it was odd - it did it quite a lot early on but never does it now  s:? :? s:?  

If anything, it could be due to Dan's setup being more efficient than Mark's and mine due to the relocated MAF getting a truer reading. I shall investigate this possibility as I am converting to the newer setup soon.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

And Dan posted a result as I finished the above  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Anyway, glad it's sorted - it didn't make sense that the map was at fault as if anything it should work better (again due to the more accurate MAF readings). At least I needn't worry when I convert mine  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Note to self:

When the road is damp, don't bother trying to accelerate away in 1st gear, as all you do is spin the damn wheels!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I honestly feel like I have a brand new car again. I can even use 6th gear to accelerate now!  s:D :D s:D  The downside (upside?) is that I have to learn how to control the car again, as I'd kill myself if I drove it like I used to.

spit

Quote from: "Ekona"The downside (upside?) is that I have to learn how to control the car again, as I'd kill myself if I drove it like I used to.

Dan, this is what I'm dreading/looking forward to aswell. It might be worth me getting a few hours of closed circuit instruction - but we'll see how it goes. Is this something you've considered? Think it could be worthwhile?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

I was planning to get another day at North Weald to get used to the car again way back when I ordered the kit, but it doesn't seem like the best time of year to do it (what with the rainy season and all).

I might still do it next year in the spring (maybe not NW, but a proper track-day), but for now there's other things that require my money more. I'll just go back to driving like a girl again (no offence, ladies  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ).

Anonymous

Just logged in again to pass my regards on to Sean.

Congrats on the J-Tuner article, so she's all up and running. Im impressed, very impressed - nice article

Nice one mate, hope your keeping well.

Steve.

s8) 8) s8)

Slacey

Thanks Steve, nice to here from you  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

After a week of proper driving, I thought I might just make the following observation...

The turbo has actually made the car easier to live with on a day-to-day basis than it's ever been. I've been driving into work in the '2 this week (rather than use my truck), as I wanted to make sure there were no niggles that would come to light after a couple of hundred miles so I can make the weekly 160-mile round trip to Lowestoft in my car tomorrow without fear of breaking down half-way! In all honesty, it's been an absolute pleasure this week.

Cruising at 70mph on the dual-carriageway, the noise is slightly more obtrusive into the cabin than my old TTE 'zorst/TRD filter/Markiii inlet pipe combo was, but that's to be expected. Thing is, whilst I was getting almost annoyed with the slightly droney tone of the N/A setup, the noise now is more akin to a deep growl (I'm told that the noise gets even better when you put the 2nd exhaust leg on).

Still cruising at 70mph, I spy a car in front of me that looks like it's going to want to overtake the lorry that sits in front of him soon, meaning I will soon find myself behind either slow lorry or slow overtaking car. I know have two choices:

a) Accept the inevitable and waste precious seconds, or;
b) Drop from 6th to 3rd, gun it and overtake the pair

99 times out of 100, option b is the clear winner. But not anymore. Now, I just slowly press the throttle downwards and let the sheer power put me past both effortlessly. As 70mph in 6th = 3000 revs, and the turbo is on full boost by 3K revs, there's no drama involved: It's just a moment of artistic wonderment as the silver sports car passes the vehicles in front, accompanied by the glorious sound of a spinning turbine and three inches worth of exhaust note.

Truly, I'm falling in love all over again.

LeeUK

s:P :P s:P  Sounds great Dan, the car sounds great too, I can tell it is you when you start it up at work!  Shakes my mess room/office, swear it's gonna fall down!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

aaronjb

I want one  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  If only to terrorise the underground car park at work..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"It's just a moment of artistic wonderment as the silver sports car passes the vehicles in front, accompanied by the glorious sound of a spinning turbine and three inches worth of exhaust note.
Hardlyt turned on the radio since the install. It really is a beautiful thing.

Quote from: "aaronjb"I want one  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  If only to terrorize the underground car park at work.. :Lol:

And treat as well. Car alarms sounding off as you pass by. Not a great way to make friends though.

aaronjb

Quote from: "barkingspyder"
Quote from: "aaronjb"I want one  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  If only to terrorize the underground car park at work.. :Lol:

And treat as well. Car alarms sounding off as you pass by. Not a great way to make friends though.

Hey, no Americanising my spelling  s:P :P s:P   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Bad enough working in a company where everything is spelt wrong  s;) ;) s;)

And true - I wouldn't really terrorise people with it.. but it would be nice to hear a proper exhaust in our underground carpark (there's someone at work with an Impreza WRX - I must say, that sounds nice in there..)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Hey, no Americanising my spelling  s:P :P s:P   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Bad enough working in a company where everything is spelt wrong  s;) ;) s;)

Sorry, my spell checker has no appreciation for the Queen's English and it has the grace of a shot gun.

spit

Quote from: "Ekona"Truly, I'm falling in love all over again.

The mans a poet   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Glad you're enjoying the experience Dan. I'm going backwards at the moment - beginning to wonder if I'll ever get to the promised land of boost  s:? :? s:?  Ho-hum......
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

ekona, do you have a 2zz turbo or what? how do you have a 6th gear?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "mefarri"ekona, do you have a 2zz turbo or what? how do you have a 6th gear?

standard over here in the UK after Nov 2002 i.e. all post facelift cars  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

as for Dans car, its a Hass 1ZZ turbo
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

ah damn. sucks to be in the US for once.   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:    s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:    s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

aaronjb

Quote from: "barkingspyder"Sorry, my spell checker has no appreciation for the Queen's English and it has the grace of a shot gun.

No worries - I was only joking really  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "barkingspyder"Sorry, my spell checker has no appreciation for the Queen's English and it has the grace of a shot gun.

No worries - I was only joking really  s:) :) s:)
s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: