Handling modification priority

Started by shnazzle, September 1, 2017, 23:43

shnazzle

This video from MightyCarMods popped up today and found it very interesting.

I know we go on and on about tyres being the best and first mod people should do to get the best out of the car. And I still swear by this, but evidence has always been anecdotal. People who are convinced to swap to a high quality tyre come back raving about how much better the car is... But yet...anecdotal and perhaps placebo?
I think not!
Here is some truly science-stiffic evidence to prove it!

https://youtu.be/ca3KmMZ577o
...neutiquam erro.

alancsalt

I liked it too, but reading the comments shows just how hard it is to please everybody.
Toyota MR2 Spyder, November 2002, Engineer approved 2001 Celica 2ZZ motor and C60 trans, MWR Carbon lined synchro set, SMT to Manual conversion, PPE headers,Fabricated Cat/Exhaust, Power FC ECU

Topdownman

Fifth gear did a good feature about 5 yrs ago with a clio sport driven by Suzi Perry, they did various mods to the car and noted the effects on her lap times. I remember that a set of AD08rs was very effective in knocking seconds off but the best improvement was some tuition by Jason Plato. Sadly couldnt find it only youtube, just a 30 second trailer for it!

"Engineering explained " on youtube also does some "science" on better tyres vs more horsepower on one of his videos.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

m1tch

Quote from: "Topdownman"Fifth gear did a good feature about 5 yrs ago with a clio sport driven by Suzi Perry, they did various mods to the car and noted the effects on her lap times. I remember that a set of AD08rs was very effective in knocking seconds off but the best improvement was some tuition by Jason Plato. Sadly couldnt find it only youtube, just a 30 second trailer for it!

"Engineering explained " on youtube also does some "science" on better tyres vs more horsepower on one of his videos.

I was thinking about that exact episode as I read the first comment, driver training was the best, followed by tyres and so on  s:) :) s:)

m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mNqV-TJg6A m

Topdownman

Ha, well done for finding it!

A great bit of car TV journalism.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

MR TWO

Re Aussie TV show.
The difference between '86 on good tyres to '96 on good tyres with coilovers was just over 1 second per lap. There is no point comparing great tyres to  sshit shit sshit e tyres as people with  sshit shit sshit e ones don't care, and anyone who cares doesn't have them!

I think that most people who change their suspension are track day drivers. The remaining purchasers of coilovers are people who have a sporty car with worn out suspension. The cost difference of coilovers or replacement OEM suspension when the labour is included is minor.

I expect that the difference in laptimes between great tyres and good tyres is marginal, and a larger concern to most road drivers are ride characteristics, road noise and longevity.
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

lamcote

Is faster round a track automatically "better" handling? I'm sure plenty of Audis will be way faster round a track than a GT86, but I reckon I know which handles better.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

s12vea

Might car mods is good viewing
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Tags: