Top speed higher with roof down or up?

Started by KRAMSNEHPETS, August 28, 2017, 17:44

KRAMSNEHPETS

Thoughts and experience please
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

Topdownman

No experience as such but I would imagine the top up would have better airflow and reduced turbulence and therefore higher potential top speed.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

lamcote

Whenever I have seen both top speeds quoted for convertible cars the roof down speed has always been lower than roof up.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

KRAMSNEHPETS

Roof up when I am next on the autobahn
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

ChrisGB

What sort of top speed are you geared for? I've always been paranoid that the roof could pop open at really high speed. Remember, the top was only designed to go to 130 or so, with your power, you could be going a lot faster that that.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

lamcote

The man has a point!
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

KRAMSNEHPETS

Didn't think of that, would be a massive air brake! Has for face lift 6th gear that lets it sit at 90mph at 4000 rpm. Don't think the gear will  limit top end. My hood is very tight to latch it shut so I think it would be ok. What autobahn top end have you done Chris?

MilesH

We tried a hard top on and off test on the roll caged race car and the hard top on terminal speeds were quicker.

MilesH

Double post oops!

ChrisGB

Quote from: "KRAMSNEHPETS"Didn't think of that, would be a massive air brake! Has for face lift 6th gear that lets it sit at 90mph at 4000 rpm. Don't think the gear will  limit top end. My hood is very tight to latch it shut so I think it would be ok. What autobahn top end have you done Chris?

I think that if it did pop open, the roof would be decimated. It would certainly get your attention  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   I haven't maxed it out on the new gearbox with the longer diff ratio, but on the old one it pulled strongly past the end of the speedo and into the rev limiter at around 150. I'd be intrigued to know if it would pull to the rev limiter now, that would be about 175mph. Other things to consider are stuff like the front bumper and arch liners, which could bend extensively at the speeds that 300+ Bhp can enable.

I need to find somewhere to max it out sometime.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

KRAMSNEHPETS

I need to look at my front bumper, Front splitter has sorted out  the car feeling very light above 100 but the bumper seems to have dropped away from bonnet and head lights a bit...

Topdownman

I did have a period when one of my roof catches would suddenly decide to pop open at, ahem, motorway speed occasionally. Very scary! Cant imagine what that would be like at autobahn speed.

Hasnt happened since I tightened up the catches I am glad to say.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

ChrisGB

Quote from: "KRAMSNEHPETS"I need to look at my front bumper, Front splitter has sorted out  the car feeling very light above 100 but the bumper seems to have dropped away from bonnet and head lights a bit...

The point where the bumper meets the wheel arches stretches a bit too.

delhusband

Quote from: "Topdownman"I did have a period when one of my roof catches would suddenly decide to pop open at, ahem, motorway speed occasionally. Very scary! Cant imagine what that would be like at autobahn speed.

Hasnt happened since I tightened up the catches I am glad to say.
Wonder if it would be like Mark Webber's '99 le mans experience?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Hate pointy animals

lgriffiths

Roof down would be massive amounts of drag.

Unless you sealed the cabin around you with some kind of skirting and took the windscreen off & pillars off...

BahnStormer

Quote from: "lgriffiths"Unless you sealed the cabin around you with some kind of skirting and took the windscreen off & pillars off...
you honestly want to give these nutters any more ideas!!!   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  
(guys if/when you remove the A pillars and windscreen to test this theory, please make sure you get pics!)

Quote from: "KRAMSNEHPETS"Didn't think of that, would be a massive air brake!
I think I can safely say that at >100mph an extending roof probably wouldn't stick around for very long, unless you've reinforced it! The only question would be how much it would destabilise the car while it was in action... I don't think the car was designed with a top-mounted drag parachute in mind.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

KRAMSNEHPETS

Might go to the autobahn sunday with the roof up!

m1tch

#hardtoplife  s:D :D s:D

Tags: