MAF pipe

Started by m1tch, July 9, 2017, 20:53

m1tch

Hi all,

As the MAF is fitted into the airbox I was wondering where people get an aftermarket MAF pipe from so I can run with a different filter, should I look to get a space OEM airbox and cut it up or should I get one of those generic 'cold air intake' kits and simply use the flange and pipework to then route it how I want?

shnazzle

The most important thing is position of the maf in the pipe. So your most accurate bets would be pipes from the likes of Eliseparts or a flange from monkeywrenchracing welded onto a pipe of equal diameter to the stock maf.

Cheapest alternative is to buy a spare airbox and chop off the maf housing. Doesn't look as elegant but it works

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

alancsalt

Aftermarket ones are silly money for no extra benefit AFAIK. Just trim one out of a spare airbox. Your existing tuning is for that diameter and for that MAF height in the tube.
Toyota MR2 Spyder, November 2002, Engineer approved 2001 Celica 2ZZ motor and C60 trans, MWR Carbon lined synchro set, SMT to Manual conversion, PPE headers,Fabricated Cat/Exhaust, Power FC ECU

m1tch

Thanks guys, I know that the height of the MAF plays a crucial part of the measurement which is why the CAP mod works, I have ordered a spare airbox which I will mod, I will also look to mod the stock airbox first to see if I can increase airflow - I can still make up an OEM box from the 2 boxes anyway. Will look to cut out the MAF part from the used airbox to run the filter how I want, when I get a new standalone ECU I think the MAF can be eliminated and just use a MAP sensor instead.

weeJohn

Its a nightmare, you really need a wideband to measure AFR`s to see if the changes you are making are worthwhile and actually an improvement. No point in adding a free flow filter and aftermarket MAF tube if they dont match, the ECU will dump fuel in and the car will be slower and use more fuel.

m1tch

Quote from: "weeJohn"Its a nightmare, you really need a wideband to measure AFR`s to see if the changes you are making are worthwhile and actually an improvement. No point in adding a free flow filter and aftermarket MAF tube if they dont match, the ECU will dump fuel in and the car will be slower and use more fuel.

I cut up the OEM airbox to get the MAF pipe, I also have an aftermarket Apexi induction kit coming as well so will measure the size and difference between the two of them, I know MWR sells a 2.5" kit which is ok for a stock ECU and a larger 3" kit which needs the ECU to be remapped. I have a Dastek which is premapped for a free flowing exhaust so it might be ok to run that with a larger intake pipe - will see soon!

Bullit

m1tch

Quote from: "Bullit"I bought one of these https://www.eliseparts.com/products/show/41/725/toyota-air-feed/

Yeah I was looking at those but have bought a second hand apexi air filter setup, just measured it and it's the same diameter as the stock one with a slight pinch in the centre of the pipe, slightly rough so I'm going to clean it up a bit.

Tags: