Rear tyre badly cut... Replace all for winter?

Started by jvanzyl, September 6, 2016, 10:18

jvanzyl

So car is in garage and one of my rears has a cut down to the thread  s:-( :-( s:-(  they are only a year old (toyo proxes) should I just replace them all with a winter/rain tyre (Uniroyal?) Or should I just replace the rears (other side was puncture repaired a couple of months ago)...
Appreciate your thoughts!

jvanzyl

Gone with the latter.... Hopefully it won't be too bad

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

mikek

Just replace the rears like for like. You will probably get through a couple of sets of rears before the fronts need doing anyway.
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

jvanzyl

Cheers  - I figure at least this way I'll have 1 (although puncture repaired) rear as a spare...

I was looking at the PZero's at Camskill thinking it would be interesting to try them... but then thought how upset I would be if I had another "cut" and needed to replace!

MR2j

I'd really recommend Bridgestones, found they give similar grip to toyos but produce less road noise, better mpg and last longer.

jvanzyl

Thanks man, good to know. Another year maybe... Sticking with Toyo's for now...

HFB

1 puncture
1 tyre cut
Concerned about another 'cut' occurring!!

Have you upset a neighbour recently or do you work near a glass factory?

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

jvanzyl

Yeah... The cut thing did concern be a bit! To be honest I reckon a fair possibility is down to the excessive wheel spin I used to suffer from when pulling away. This has now been resolved with the replacement of the rear bushes though!

MR2j

Quote from: "jvanzyl"Thanks man, good to know. Another year maybe... Sticking with Toyo's for now...

Toyos offer great performance for the price, I used them on quite a few previous cars but unfortunately I don't think you can get them in 215/45/16 for the post facelift.

mikek

225's are fine though. We have them on kates.
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

MR2j

Do you have 225s on the standard wheels?

mikek

Yep. 195's on the front 225's on the back. I have the same on mine but in the yokohama ad08r.

MR2j

Do you still have the standard sidewall size or are they lower?

mikek

45 or 40 are ok for the rears. 50 on the front. Check the tyre threads there is lots of info.

MR2j

Ok thanks, will do.

Tags: