Hard Race rear arms

Started by Essex2Visuvesi, August 10, 2016, 13:13

Essex2Visuvesi

Looking at installing the Full set of Hardrace rear arms over the winter.
As this is Jointed setup with no bushes I wondering how much harsher the ride would be for road use?

lamcote

I have no personal experience but lots of people say poly bushes are too harsh and Hardrace arms must be worse than that....

I leave you to draw your own conclusions!
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Essex2Visuvesi

Cheers for that! I was thinking they would be pretty bad
I'd be better to rebuild the existing ones with new Toyota spec bushes then?

lamcote

The trouble is you can't get Toyota bushes on their own, you have to buy the arms and that's many hundreds of pounds!
Only options are second hand arms with original bushes,  poly bushes or make do with what you've got!
The only thing that I have read is that Super Pro reckon their poly bushes are no more harsh than rubber, but I guess they would say that wouldn't they.
Has anyone used these?

stupink

I have just recently gone poly all round, (super pro) and to be honest its fine.. but the cars already quite shakey as I have 80sure engine mounts..
if you're on about the rear arm only as in the one that does the toe, then its balljoint one end anyway, so you're only changing one bush.. really wouldn't be concerned..
if you like driving it, then you'll enjoy it far more with the good bushes to care if its a bit harher, go poly bushes all round, cost you less than the arms and do the same and you can do the whole car  s:D :D s:D
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

lamcote

That's a persuasive argument stupink. I'd be really interested in your thoughts on the Super Pro bushes. Was there any increase in harshness? Also was there a significant improvement in handling / steering precision? Any other pluses/minuses?
Thanks

Topdownman

I am following this with interest as I have concerns about my bushes but I dont want to have to buy new arms to get new rubber bushes so polybushing seems to be the sensible option on a cost basis, just wary of people saying they make things harsher.

My gut feeling though is that a bit more compliance by effectively allowing the wheels to move out of line with rubber bushes is not the sort of compliance that is desirable?

As lots of our cars are bound to be getting to the stage of needing new bushes due to their age,  I would be interested to hear about peoples experience with polybushing their 2.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

stupink

My bushes were visually okay. Passed mot etc. Car went from a bit lethal and snappy on the rear. To progressive and predictable.. I get better straight line braking too (toe not changing).
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "stupink"I have just recently gone poly all round, (super pro) and to be honest its fine.. but the cars already quite shakey as I have 80sure engine mounts..
if you're on about the rear arm only as in the one that does the toe, then its balljoint one end anyway, so you're only changing one bush.. really wouldn't be concerned..
if you like driving it, then you'll enjoy it far more with the good bushes to care if its a bit harher, go poly bushes all round, cost you less than the arms and do the same and you can do the whole car  s:D :D s:D

I was planning on going for the full set of 3
Pricing them up alongside genuine replacement parts they work out a bit cheaper

Tags: