Small leak around driver side rubber seal

Started by Kimmy50, August 4, 2016, 09:16

Kimmy50

Hi folks, I've been a bit quiet on here lately due to having a bit going on, currently off work for a month having had hand surgery yesterday. Drove Toyah a few days after some very heavy rain and noticed some water ingress down the driver side door into the door pocket thingy where you stick your bits and pieces. I have a cleaning cloth in it and it was wet, as was the floor mat around the petrol cap release button.

It appears to be leaking around the window rubber where, on the passenger side there is a small tab of plastic attached to the rubber seal but on the driver side it is missing, thus creating a tiny gap. Any ideas how I put this right ?

Thank you

Kim

keeper2611

Have you checked the drainage channels? Did mine a couple of weeks ago and they were more bunged up than a bunged up thing! Sorry to hear about your probs, hope things get better and your hand is well enough to get to Dong Day.
2002 Red pfl being slowly modified

Kimmy50

No I haven't checked them but I do need to....I'm a tad nervous about pinging off the vent covers and breaking them or scratching the paintwork. If I xan get to Dong day, and I really hope I will be able to drive up, i'm hoping someone else can have a go for me  :-) :-) :-)

carolineasb

Is your car parked on a slope?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Kimmy50

Hi there no it's on the level pretty much. I'll get a picture tomorrow in daylight but on passenger side there is a tiny oblong piece of metal or plastic (can't remember exactly which) attached to the rubber seal, on driver side it's missing and there is definitely room for water ingress.

Dave2002

Kim
Not around for a week or so but if you don't get it sorted let me know and you can bring it round and I'll have a look with you .
Dave
Blue 2002 sold
Going back to the Blue Oval

Kimmy50

Dave you're a legend, thanks  :-) :-) :-) )

Kimmy50

Hopefully this works...can you see the plastic tab here ? Its missing on the driver side thus creating a gap

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Kimmy50

Kimmy50

Excuse reflection of my top in the window  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Gibla

Took the car out for a run today in torrential rain. I noticed a continuous drip(small amount) from the driver's side upper rubber seal.

The seal itself seems to work under normal circumstances ie lowish speed and normal rainfall, any suggestions other than a healthy dose of Silicone grease....such as this maybe
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverhook-SGPGT90-Silicone-Grease-Tube/dp/B00W6Q3B1G/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=silicone+grease+gel&qid=1608245257&sr=8-3
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)

ptennisnet

I've heard people recommend gummi phledge but I've not used it myself yet.

Tags: