De-cat

Started by jordanmr2, November 24, 2015, 21:18

jordanmr2

Hello folks!

Have a few questions that I hope yous could answer. So my cars currently in the garage getting a new engine fitted. Guy said my cat was knackered and i needed a new one. He said he would take out as much residue as possible from the exhaust as it's causing back pressure due to the cat being broken. (I don't know if I'm making much sense here as I don't know alot about cars) I asked if he could De-cat and he said he would sort me out for MOTs in the future if I decided to go for it.

Anyway, my questions are...

1. Where can I buy a De-Cat pipe
2. I read somewhere I would need to do something to the EUC.
3. Would I expect any gains. (Everything else on the car is standard)
4. Any other information you can give me regarding a De-Cat that would be useful to know.

Many thanks in advance!

mrzwei

You need to get them to make sure that the pre-cats in the exhaust manifold are either still intact, or have been fully removed because if they broke up they could have blocked the main cat.
Hundreds of posts on here about that issue.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

MartinC

No need to get a De-Cat pipe.  Just get him to gut the manifold of the Pre-Cats, and put a new Main Cat on.  You can pick up a new Main Cat for £150, make sure it's Type approved.  That way, there will be no need to be picky when it comes to MOT time as to where you take it.    s:D :D s:D
Martin

Readers ride :- Martin's 2001 Roadster

Ardent

1. Where can I buy a De-Cat pipe. - As above do not need one.
2. I read somewhere I would need to do something to the EUC. - Do not NEED to, but always worth a reset now and again. Disconnect battery for 30 mins or pull the ecu fuse.
3. Would I expect any gains. (Everything else on the car is standard) - Gains. No. Satisfaction knowing gone. Yes.
4. Any other information you can give me regarding a De-Cat that would be useful to know. -  Make yourself a brew and settle in for an hour or three using the search. ALso check out the tech/refrence boards. Stacks of info.

jordanmr2

Thanks for the response guys, appreciate it.

I spoke to a guy who could do a custom Decat for the car for £80 - £100. I'm just really looking for my cheapest option here. Just had to pay for my new engine, getting it fitted and a my sub - frame welded. I'm pretty skint.  s:( :( s:(

Tags: