Other ways to stiffen suspension.......

Started by HFB, November 19, 2015, 09:57

cptspaulding

Quote from: "1979scotte"
Quote from: "loadswine"
Quote from: "1979scotte"Not sure you can still get them for that sort of money anymore but it has been a year since I really looked.

I saw them on this link Scott,
 m https://www.buypartsby.co.uk/buy/TOYOTA ... absorbers/ m

But I don't know much about that supplier.
Seems the OP is going to opt for adjustables anyway, ao kind of academic now.
Personally, I found those KYBs at least as good as Tein super street adjustables, if not slightly better. Was pretty much the sweetest all round roadster that I had, for handling. I didn't go for track focussed though, just good on the road. Worked well with around 220 turbo horses.

Best price I have ever seen for the rears. Unbelievable.
Change the lot for that money.
Bargain.

That's where I got mine. They were £20 cheaper than Camskill.

The rear left took a while to get here due to the trouble at the channel tunnel during the summer. I thought they were at it so I tried Camskill at the time & they too had all other three but were waiting, yep you guessed it, the rear left to arrive in stock.

Customer service lad, Tom, at Buypartsby was v good at keeping me up to date.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Jrichards20

Quote from: "shnazzle"
Quote from: "jeffsimply"
Quote from: "Jrichards20"I don't agree with you on this one I'm afraid. Reducing body roll means less effect on the camber of the tyre during corning, with a stiffer suspension, the less the tyre will "lean" on one side which will increase the contact patch with the ground. Also altering the stiffness of the coilovers between front and back will also effect the conering, by stiffening up front or rear, it will induce either understeer or oversteer, making the car more balanced and cornering forces equal. obviously these need to be set up properly to work.  Very brief explanation and there are a lot more factors involved and proper terminology to be used, but just gives a small input into getting around a corner quick.

But I do agree tyres are even more important.

The standard car doesn't roll enough to stop gripping on it's inside tyre, so stiffening it any further is just going to improve response if anything. With that being said, neither of those things will increase your corner speed if you get the entry correct which brings us back to absolute grip, which is where tyres come in.

I'm not saying don't buy coilovers, just don't kid yourself into thinking they'll make you quicker.

Dunno... I can 100% hold a corner much quicker than before on stock.
But the best thing by far is, as you said, response. On S-bends, the first corner is absolutely fantastic for a stock car, but then when you have to quickly swing the car the other way, you have to wait quite a while for the car to take a set so you can get the max out of the corner.
On coilovers (even cheap ones like MeisterR and BC), the response is sharpened up drastically allowing you to quickly change directions and take a stable loaded stance very quickly.
Stiffer bushes in my opinion will make it firmer and responsive as well. You're removing some of the slack in weight transfer, seems logical. But they also make it more noisy and cause vibrations  s:) :) s:)

Exactly, I completely agree, tyres 100% best thing you can ever do, 99% of my posts are telling people to buy better tyres  s:) :) s:)  and coilovers main benefit is increased response.

But... Unless your car isn't actually stock, I don't see how yours isn't rolling, Jesus, in stock form I think the roll huge amounts! In fact I've even seen some pictures of the inside wheel almost being lifted up with sticky tyres and a fast corner! So in my experience and watching others, coilovers do help with cornering grip, not as much as tyres but definitely help.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Jrichards20

Quote from: "HFB"
Quote from: "Jrichards20"Buy my BC coilovers for £550 if you like. That's cheaper. I'm tempted to try some Meisters instead.

Hi mate

If you'll take £450 for them, it's a deal!   s:D :D s:D  

HFB

Sorry mate, I'm sticking to 550+postage, I'll put them back on otherwise haha. But with the price of kyb above they seem like a better idea anyway. If you don't want adjustable.
Street Triple 765 RS

HFB

No worries

Just a bit too rich for me at moment as I've spent a little bit more than I oughta already this year on something I shouldn't have bought in the first place!!!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Will take your advice on here and look at the tyres route instead for starters.

Damn I want to buy some coilovers though!!   s:? :? s:?  

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Jrichards20

Quote from: "HFB"No worries

Just a bit too rich for me at moment as I've spent a little bit more than I oughta already this year on something I shouldn't have bought in the first place!!!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Will take your advice on here and look at the tyres route instead for starters.

Damn I want to buy some coilovers though!!   s:? :? s:?  

HFB

Well in the next 6 months I doubt my coilovers will have done more than 100miles, so if you still want some after new year you can have them for the same price  s:) :) s:)  If you really want some grip around track, get some semi-slicks. they are a bit sketchy on the road when not warmed up, but they are a right giggle on the track when your face is being away from your body  s:) :) s:)  

Loads of opinions on semi-slicks on here, if I was you, just go for the most available one. I like R888s but they will all give you some outstanding grip.
Street Triple 765 RS

lamcote

Jeffsimply, you might want to have a rethink about your views on Jrichards20 comments, he is absolutely right that less roll gives more grip, (unless your suspension is very stiff and the road is very bumpy) but his explanation about the impact on camber and the resulting increase in grip, and therefore greater cornering speed, is spot on.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Mark A

I replaced mine with KYBs and Apexi springs after the front started weeping. The KYBs came off Ebay after someone on here sent a link, I think they worked out at about £250 for all 4. Apexi springs came from ECP with one of the -20% offers so £100. I changed the lot over weekend including the rear drop links which are a PITA to get off and will need replacing 9/10 times.

Nice drive now, not too low and has improved the handing without being rock hard, I've set up the suspension alignment at the moment using string but I will have it done properly once I've  replaced the rear diff seal.

Tags: