MAF Sensor and ECU reset

Started by HFB, October 19, 2015, 09:46

HFB

Might be psychosomatic but had a tinker with my 2000 PFL roadster at weekend in prep for my first trackday in Nov.

Read on here about ECU reset, air filter and MAF sensor clean all making a difference, so I thought it wouldn't harm to give it a bash.

I also have noticed that the steering feels a little 'flighty' and not planted when driving a bit more 'lively' than usual, so I checked the tyre pressures 28 psi front, 32 rear).

I also noted that the fronts were Yokaham C-Drives on front (185/55/R15) and Yokahama S-Drives (205/55/R15) on rear.

Then took it for a spin as a base line check before tinkering.

In fairness the car is quite smooth running anyway and aside from the handling not being any more stable, it was a nice, fun little jaunt (as always).

So, next up was the ECU reset. Simple case of removing the connector from the battery and going for a cuppa and waiting. Re-connected 30 min later, re-set the car clock and fired her up.

All sounded normal and went for a spin on the same circuit.

As said at the start, not sure if it is psychosomatic, but it did feel a bit 'looser' or 'livelier' and almost eager to be driven faster/harder. Mental or actual, it made the car more enjoyable to drive - not substantial, but a noticeable 'perkiness' to it.

Then came back and removed the MAF sensor and prepared to change out the old air filter. When I opened it up, the filter still looked as good as new (it was changed in April according to the MrT service sheet, but never hurts to double check) so left it alone.

Cleaned the MAF sensor with carb cleaner, replaced it once it had dried out and off for another spin.

Same a gain.......a little bit perkier still (I think!).

So, although difficult to physically quantify, as per the concensus on here, cleaning the MAF and resetting ECU are both definitely worthwhile, cheap things to do to your car to give a perceived actual (or even if just psychological) positive improvement to the way your car drives.

NB I was planning to give the throttle inlet/valve a spray of carb cleaner too, but access to it is pants and too much removal of pipes and stuff that I wasn't in my comfort zone to remove/replace with comfort, so left that for another day.

Looking forward to fitting MattBrace when received and will again try to give a before/after perspective.

Roll on Nov 9th   s:D :D s:D  

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

dkirkwood89

Amazing the difference it can make  s:) :) s:)
2004 Red Edition, Hard Top, TRD Short Shifter, CBS CDA Induction Kit

Tags: